Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visited my LFS, and they started to carry Brightwell's refractometer solution - I make my own calibration solution based on Randy's article, but wanted to try this out since it was only $5.

Tried on my refractometer and it read 1.035!! Of course, I tried it again and ensure everything was cleaned, shook the bottle as stated on the label, and tried again, and yup, it read the same. I did 2 more trials throughout the day, and it read 1.035 or so. I use my own calibration fluid and it reads 1.0260, which tells me that my refractometer is ok.

Anyone else have the same experience with this product?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visited my LFS, and they started to carry Brightwell's refractometer solution - I make my own calibration solution based on Randy's article, but wanted to try this out since it was only $5.

Tried on my refractometer and it read 1.035!! Of course, I tried it again and ensure everything was cleaned, shook the bottle as stated on the label, and tried again, and yup, it read the same. I did 2 more trials throughout the day, and it read 1.035 or so. I use my own calibration fluid and it reads 1.0260, which tells me that my refractometer is ok.

How did you make the DIY? Did you use a scale? Which recipe?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you make the DIY? Did you use a scale? Which recipe?
Hi Randy: I used an electronic precision scale that can weight to 2 decimal places. I used the one posted on reefkeeping website.

I dissolved 3.65grams of NaCl into 96.35 grams of RODI water, which I assumed would yield 35ppt.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy: I used an electronic precision scale that can weight to 2 decimal places. I used the one posted on reefkeeping website.

I dissolved 3.65grams of NaCl into 96.35 grams of RODI water, which I assumed would yield 35ppt.

OK, that's right for a refractometer, and it's hard to understand how the Brightwell product could be so far off, but they have made some chemistry blunders before.

ryshark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had that experience (inaccurate readings) with that one and others. Finally made my own solution with Randy's recipe and won't buy those anymore.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, that's right for a refractometer, and it's hard to understand how the Brightwell product could be so far off, but they have made some chemistry blunders before.
Hi Randy: thanks for confirming. I was curious and went to search for some reviews of this particular calibration solution from them, and indeed others also shared the same observation. That does not instill much confidence with their products - you'd think they'd would know and correct by now. The LFS that I got mine from was a new stock shipment from them, so as it appears the issue remains.

It's very concerning because if others believe that their calibration solution should be 100% accurate, they would use that to calibrate their instrument and essentially and potentially can crash their tank. I find this very not responsible on their part if in fact their product is bad.

ryshark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy: thanks for confirming. I was curious and went to search for some reviews of this particular calibration solution from them, and indeed others also shared the same observation. That does not instill much confidence with their products - you'd think they'd would know and correct by now. The LFS that I got mine from was a new stock shipment from them, so as it appears the issue remains.

It's very concerning because if others believe that their calibration solution should be 100% accurate, they would use that to calibrate their instrument and essentially and potentially can crash their tank. I find this very not responsible on their part if in fact their product is bad.
This was driving me nuts a couple years ago, I ended up with I think 6-bottles across 3-different brands and they were all different. Finally made Randy's recipe, dumped out the solution from one of the 6-bottles and poured it in there and threw away the other 5-bottles.
Now what I do when I buy new healthy/colorful coral is test the vendors water and compare it to mine. The solution I made on my own is still accurate a couple years later.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was driving me nuts a couple years ago, I ended up with I think 6-bottles across 3-different brands and they were all different. Finally made Randy's recipe, dumped out the solution from one of the 6-bottles and poured it in there and threw away the other 5-bottles.
Now what I do when I buy new healthy/colorful coral is test the vendors water and compare it to mine. The solution I made on my own is still accurate a couple years later.
Interesting that you shared the same experience with 3 different brands - I wonder what's up with that. Doesn't make sense - we rely on such to ensure our water can sustain corals, fish, etc and yet we can't even trust these sources. Terrible!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
R

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issues with my brightwell calibration fluid when I first setup my tank. definitely did not set me up for success... I would get the tropic marin hydrometer as a backup or for verification as that never goes out of calibration.
Yup - the Tropic Marin Hydrometer is what I use as my 'standard' I use it to compare with the refractometer and sometimes just use the reading I get from the hydrometer to calibrate the refractometer.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back