Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it best to start at the beginning. First, I marked off the location of the supports of our floor. Then I made some diagrams, and I sent them to my friend Walt, who's a structural engineer. He said "Looks good!", so away we go.

Here's the alcove where the tank will live.
IMG_0732.jpeg

Here's roughly what the tank will look like over the support structure:

Floor 3d.png

Lastly, and overhead sketch:
Floor sketch.png

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then, I went to Reef Stock in Denver. I met the fine folks at Algae Barn, and I decided to buy a tank from them. I bought Cade 1500 S2. It's sitting at their warehouse, waiting for me to setup delivery. As soon as we paint the trim in this room, I'll be ready for a tank.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulation on your new system. I cannot wait to see the system setup.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, Mike the electrician came out. In addition to some other cats and dogs, he installed two dedicated 20A GFCIs where the tank is going to go.

IMG_0821.jpeg

IMG_0823.jpeg

While Mike was here, I also got a look inside the wall here. Behind this will are the stairs. The stairs going up are double wide, so there's some dead space back in there. I think I'll be able to route some small tubing down to the basement for the eventual water mixing station. Eventually I think that will evolve to automated water changes.

IMG_0817.jpeg

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulation on your new system. I cannot wait to see the system setup.
Neither can I, and neither can my daughter. She doesn't ask every day, but almost nearly every day: "Dad, when are we getting fish?"

Honestly that's kind of how this started. Daughter asked about getting some fish, and I had a moment where I realized: you know, I've always wanted a reef tank; I think now is a good time.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is great that your daughter is going on this journey with you.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow going, but making some progress. Put in two dedicated 20A circuits for the tank, wired ethernet.

IMG_0822.jpeg

Now we're working on PVC through the wall and floor to the basement to run tubing for auto water changes.

The way our house is built, there's an empty cavity behind the alcove where the tank is going to be setup. I opened up the wall, so we could get access to the empty space. That will allow easy running of tubing for water, Aquabus, or whatever we decide to do. The plan is to run something like 3" PVC from behind the tank to the basement. The utility room is just under the hallway here.

IMG_0877.jpeg

After opening the wall, we started on a small cubby to hang coats. We're going to make it so the rear wall is removable, so we can get into the empty space.

IMG_0888.jpeg

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got the tank in place. We got the rocks done. I used purple mortar because that's what the LFS had on hand, and I was impatient. From what I understand it'll all get covered anyway, so I'm not too fussed about it.

I have most of the gear in the sump now, and I think the layout will work ok. Got my roller mat plumbed this morning. Just need to run all the wiring now.

Mojave-6142.jpg
Mojave-6149.jpg
Mojave-6131.jpgMojave-6132.jpgMojave-6129.jpg

Attachments

• Mojave-6130.jpg
    Mojave-6130.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 3

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got the tank in place. We got the rocks done. I used purple mortar because that's what the LFS had on hand, and I was impatient. From what I understand it'll all get covered anyway, so I'm not too fussed about it.

I have most of the gear in the sump now, and I think the layout will work ok. Got my roller mat plumbed this morning. Just need to run all the wiring now.

View attachment 3173763View attachment 3173764View attachment 3173761View attachment 3173762View attachment 3173759
Love the aquascape design!

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back