Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I accidentally contaminate my nannochloropsis reactor with newly hatched brine shrimp, they grow to full adulthood.

But when I try to breed them, they seem to do very poorly. I use 15 gal tank with BS hatched from 1 tsp of eggs. I add live nannochloropsis to make it a lite green. I also add an airstone at about the same volume as I do in my phyto reactor. I lose most of the BS within 5 days. What am I doing wrong?

Too many BS per 15 gal?
Too little of green water?
Not enough light?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Coralsdaily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but I have witnessed an expert in action- he raises his artemia in 2G plastic bins (think drinking water jugs) and perform 100% water change DAILY. Or else he experiences mass deaths. Not saying that’s necessarily the best method, but worth a shot.
Also, personally I have had a lot kore success with culturing (phyto, artemis) by using distilled water for absolute minimal chance of bacteria introduction. And between water changes I wipe down the container with vinegar to kill any lingering bacteria

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but I have witnessed an expert in action- he raises his artemia in 2G plastic bins (think drinking water jugs) and perform 100% water change DAILY. Or else he experiences mass deaths. Not saying that’s necessarily the best method, but worth a shot.
Also, personally I have had a lot kore success with culturing (phyto, artemis) by using distilled water for absolute minimal chance of bacteria introduction. And between water changes I wipe down the container with vinegar to kill any lingering bacteria
I can try the above just to see if it has something to do with the water quality. But if it does require changing 100% of the water everyday, it is in the long term no go for me.

Avast
OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update ...

I tried several combinations and it seems that nannochloropsis is not the best food for breeding artemia. I had better results with just a powdered spirulina. Also water quality does not seem to be the biggest issue as long as you don't overdo it with the spirulina or too many napuli.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Back