Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed up a batch of water for a water change last night and then decided i was going to do it in the morning instead. I woke up and started changing the water in my tank (50g water change on 500g). It was a little dark so i didn't notice sooner but it looked like the new water coming in was really cloudy (wasn't that way the night before). It was too late to stop so i just finished and low and behold my entire tank is super cloudy now and some of the brand new water i left in the barrel to inspect was also very cloudy. I've never had this happen on a WC change before and wondering if i should be in panic mode or what. Red sea blue bucket salt, i left the heater in overnight though it was turned off, didn't have a recirculation pump going over night either. Bacterial bloom on new water from lack of circulation? Salt precipitated? Leaching from the heater? Any ideas and course of correction here? My tank had been doing awesome lately :(

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that with some salt brands that if you mix them for to long like over 2 hours the water could cloud up but it should clear up on its own with your filtration.
Fingers crossed! Thanks for the reply!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I mixed up a batch of water for a water change last night and then decided i was going to do it in the morning instead. I woke up and started changing the water in my tank (50g water change on 500g). It was a little dark so i didn't notice sooner but it looked like the new water coming in was really cloudy (wasn't that way the night before). It was too late to stop so i just finished and low and behold my entire tank is super cloudy now and some of the brand new water i left in the barrel to inspect was also very cloudy. I've never had this happen on a WC change before and wondering if i should be in panic mode or what. Red sea blue bucket salt, i left the heater in overnight though it was turned off, didn't have a recirculation pump going over night either. Bacterial bloom on new water from lack of circulation? Salt precipitated? Leaching from the heater? Any ideas and course of correction here? My tank had been doing awesome lately :(
Some salts will retain precip and remain cloudy. Try circulating the content in the barrel and see if it clears. Also even with 0 TDS assure it does not have phosphate.
My suspicion is the amount of calcium carbonate precipitation in relation to ph of the water.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some salts will retain precip and remain cloudy. Try circulating the content in the barrel and see if it clears. Also even with 0 TDS assure it does not have phosphate.
My suspicion is the amount of calcium carbonate precipitation in relation to ph of the water.
Thanks for the reply, beginning to think it's just the salt and I normally do the water change right after mixing so it doesn't precipitate as much. Water is clearing up in DT and all my acros still have nice PE so probably okay.

Also checked the phosphates on the RODI and they were zero. Thanks Vette!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral-vault.com
Back