+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hello!

So a week or so ago my 5yo and I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on YouTube and got into looking at reef videos. Then he went to sleep and I kept watching dif videos for 3 more hours learning about it from various YouTubers. Then the next day I put in a few more hours and have continued like that for the following few days…. Needless to say, I went out and bought a bunch of stuff, starting with the Fluval EVO 13.5. I would have gone larger but I want to prove to myself that I’ll last a year before I move or just start a bigger tank. At least, that’s how I’m rationalizing this to myself.

The other thing is, I want my son and I to learn and go on this journey together. He picks things up quickly so if he can learn about water chemistry and keeping coral and fish alive I’ll be really proud of him. It’s not too time consuming for him and I like the slow growth and going to the LFS to check out new things. He gets a kick out of it for sure.

Anyway, here is my list so far of what I’ve either bought and brought home or have on order.

I know I’m missing:
-Nitrite/Nitrate and Ammonia tests.
-jug to hold/transport water for changes/filling
-small liveStock net

Will pick those up very shortly.
Anything else, and if so, what do you recommend that won’t break the bank?

thanks so much and I’m looking forward to learning and chatting with everyone!

BOUGHT:
Reef Crystals Sea Salt - 50 gallons
Caribsea Agra Alive Fiji Pink - 20 lb
Eheim 50 W Heater
Brightwell MicroBacter Start
Carlife Deep Six Hydrometer
Coralife Digital Thermometer
MarcoRock KeyLargo Reef Rock 11 lbs
Salinity Refactometer
Aquatic Life RODI System 4 Stage
Fluval Evo 13.5 Gallon

Avast

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’re off to a great start! Welcome to R2R too.

Only thing I would recommend is a second heater and a powerhead for your mixing bucket. You want to mix reef crystals for at least 24hrs before water changes. Maybe a remote thermostat too.

albano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’re off to a great start! Welcome to R2R too.

Only thing I would recommend is a second heater and a powerhead for your mixing bucket. You want to mix reef crystals for at least 24hrs before water changes. Maybe a remote thermostat too.
+1…can never have too many powerheads and heaters!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hello!

So a week or so ago my 5yo and I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on YouTube and got into looking at reef videos. Then he went to sleep and I kept watching dif videos for 3 more hours learning about it from various YouTubers. Then the next day I put in a few more hours and have continued like that for the following few days…. Needless to say, I went out and bought a bunch of stuff, starting with the Fluval EVO 13.5. I would have gone larger but I want to prove to myself that I’ll last a year before I move or just start a bigger tank. At least, that’s how I’m rationalizing this to myself.

The other thing is, I want my son and I to learn and go on this journey together. He picks things up quickly so if he can learn about water chemistry and keeping coral and fish alive I’ll be really proud of him. It’s not too time consuming for him and I like the slow growth and going to the LFS to check out new things. He gets a kick out of it for sure.

Anyway, here is my list so far of what I’ve either bought and brought home or have on order.

I know I’m missing:
-Nitrite/Nitrate and Ammonia tests.
-jug to hold/transport water for changes/filling
-small liveStock net

Will pick those up very shortly.
Anything else, and if so, what do you recommend that won’t break the bank?

thanks so much and I’m looking forward to learning and chatting with everyone!

BOUGHT:
Reef Crystals Sea Salt - 50 gallons
Caribsea Agra Alive Fiji Pink - 20 lb
Eheim 50 W Heater
Brightwell MicroBacter Start
Carlife Deep Six Hydrometer
Coralife Digital Thermometer
MarcoRock KeyLargo Reef Rock 11 lbs
Salinity Refactometer
Aquatic Life RODI System 4 Stage
Fluval Evo 13.5 Gallon
First off, hello!
Under The Sea Hello GIF by Lillee Jean

Welcome to the reefs!!

Looks like you're off the a great start! There are so many wonderful people here that are a wealth of knowledge. Ask lots of questions and take lots of pictures to document your journey!
20221024_183723.jpg

Danny G

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluval 13 gallon was my first tank! You will love it. I would recommend getting 2 Home Depot 5 gallon buckets for water changes. One to mix salt and one to remove water from the tank! Make sure you use RODI water.

Top Shelf Aquatics

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

If you're in B.C., and not Washington state, then you should take a look at Canada Corals and J&L Aquatics. They're a great source for anyone in western Canada, and have an excellent selection of coral and fish. You should also check out the Canreef forums, as 90% of the people on them are from the Lower Mainland.

OP
OP
slaag

slaag

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the welcome. I'm excited to get started. Hoping to have water in a tank by this weekend to start the cycle!

@davidcalgary29 - Yes, Lower Mainland. I bought most of my gear to get going from J&L. Their corals and fish selection looks pretty good. I've yet to get out to Canada Corals but I have looked at their website. I'll head out there at some point once I'm ready to add corals. I've also looked at Aquariums West downtown, but their prices seem to target those that live in penthouses downtown...

Cheers!

OP
OP
slaag

slaag

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty! I finally got the tank setup, water in. Just dosed with MicroBacter QuickCycl and MicroBacter Start XLM. Hoping the Cycle takes about a week as they advertise and as I was advised by the folks at the LFS.

Next question I have is about Fish - With a Fluval Evo 13.5g, I am wondering what the best fish to put in to help get passed/avoid that ugly phase. Thinking about worker fish and what ones I could get away with putting in here. Everyone says Clowns - Should I put one in or two? And if I put in two, can I add other fish that work on the algae perhaps anything else that would prevent the things I don't want? Is a Tang appropriate? I am fine with trading it in later if it gets too big etc.

Any advice is appreciated. Success is the most important for me for the first year so it becomes a well oiled machine later on. I do want to add Corals later on and plan on upgrading the light and other areas when the time comes.

Thanks a lot for all the previous responses.

Pic taken as I write this...
(This is actually the white light and was only on for seconds to take the and will be off for the next couple of months)
IMG_4871.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back