Borneman Anemone… I think I may regret this.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I done messed up. So I kept seeing these super cool Rock Flower nems at my LFS and they were like none of others I’ve seen or own. They weren’t sure why they were different, just that they probably came from a different area?
Fast forward about 3 months and now I have 3 of them. I only bought one and in the 3 months since then, I now have 3! They are Borneman Anemones and not RFAs as I have now learned.
I have a lovely collection of regular RFAs (20 or so) and 8 Sexy shrimp that love to run around in them. The Bornemans play nicely with the RFAs but are much stickier and much more reactive to food or touch than the others.
My worry is that they’re now on the move & since they’re multiplying so quickly, I fear I’ve made a mistake by adding them to my system. there is one still in the middle of the tank - that’s a baby of the mother nem. The mother has moved to one end of the 4 foot tank and a different baby has popped up all the way on the other end. There could be more that I don’t even know about TBH. And when I say “babies”, I mean 1 1/2 -2” anemones. These guys are quite big… the mother probably reaches almost 4” when fully open.
I have other corals & lots of high end zoas that I don’t want to risk. I’m only now realizing that they probably took out the small hammer frags I had growing near the RFAs. I blamed the Sexies for climbing all over them but they didn’t bail until after the Bornemans were added and started literally climbing their skeletons.

What would you do if you were me? I can either let them live in a nem box and multiply safely there or I can bring them to my LFS. Or sump them? Anyone want some? Lol
My RBTA just split too so this tank seems a little determined to make itself into a nem system.
Pics below, along with bonus pics of the rest of the RFA runway in my 120 DT & the fattest Lawnmower Blenny ever. :face-savoring-food:
EDIT: Adding a zoomed pic of the ones I mean specifically.
68B6B945-7CA8-4F8E-987D-C8FF1E96FA59.jpeg
46CB33C3-CFA4-4259-84E8-A545742C5917.jpeg 17BB3B38-F60C-4975-B62F-D0277F5A9404.jpeg 8CCE9EC4-F95B-4041-9CF6-D9A6A727BE9B.jpeg 196CCB98-C834-4F31-ABB3-5ED3C716C4E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Corals.com
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are multiplying for you than add small rubble rock and sell them.
$20 a piece.
My input.
D
Sorry, I definitely should have zoomed in on the ones I was referring to… it’s these specifically. I’m pretty sure it’s not an RFA.

Attachments

• 5FB78456-4E1E-4A07-9339-91E54F997C44.jpeg
    5FB78456-4E1E-4A07-9339-91E54F997C44.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 36

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's two different rock nems. 1 stay 3-5" and the other expand to be around 7".
Been a long time since I've seen one of the bigger ones. Does it get big? I did read ur post so sorry if I'm coming off as I didn't. Lol
D

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kk I did think maybe u were talking about that specific one
D
yeah, that’s the one I mean. They are Borneman Anemones… I guess they’re somewhat similar to RFAs but not quite. Phymanthus buitendijki
I’ve been doing some reading on here and other forums and there was even a recent post from July where someone posted a photo of a tank completely taken over by these guys. I’m not saying they’re a pest but anything on a long enough timeline turns into a pest.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get them off the rock put them up for sale. Or get a 10 gal AIO and create a Nem tank. Sometimes things don’t work out the way you imagined. That's why I have 5 tanks, maybe going on 6 if I can't find a home for an awesome Raccoon Butterfly, who BTW obliterated a bunch of Aptasia in my new 40 cube that I put in some live rock.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get them off the rock put them up for sale. Or get a 10 gal AIO and create a Nem tank. Sometimes things don’t work out the way you imagined. That's why I have 5 tanks, maybe going on 6 if I can't find a home for an awesome Raccoon Butterfly, who BTW obliterated a bunch of Aptasia in my new 40 cube that I put in some live rock.
I like this idea of the small nem tank… I also have 6 tanks at the moment but one of them (20g cube) is rather boring. I’d have to move my little fish outta there because I don’t want them to become a meal, but that could be fun! I do wonder if these guys would play nicely with a BTA.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea of the small nem tank… I also have 6 tanks at the moment but one of them (20g cube) is rather boring. I’d have to move my little fish outta there because I don’t want them to become a meal, but that could be fun! I do wonder if these guys would play nicely with a BTA.
There is no such thing as "A" BTA...lol Just like these rock anemones they will split. I got my first RBTA from a guy down the street who's mother split. He called me up a couple months later and said she split again and if I want another one, I said sure. He then asked me when it happens again do I wanr another, I said no because I knew mine would start splitting. Sure enough, I looked the other day and BAM! I have 3...

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as "A" BTA...lol Just like these rock anemones they will split. I got my first RBTA from a guy down the street who's mother split. He called me up a couple months later and said she split again and if I want another one, I said sure. He then asked me when it happens again do I wanr another, I said no because I knew mine would start splitting. Sure enough, I looked the other day and BAM! I have 3...
Yep, my RBTA split last week at the same time as the Borneman. So I think I’m going to need a holding tank for nems no matter what, the more I think about it.

BRS

emmysnewtank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with two tiny ones and have 5 now. The Moms are huge - 5-6" across. Already sold two juveniles to LFS when they were off the rock work...every time one comes off the rocks I grab them and isolate in a glass in the tank til I can take to LFS.

They are beautiful, but will nuke corals IME. Someone else on here had them cozied up to a euphyliia garden...so who knows? but im not taking the risk.

Has anyone had success with them co-habitating w corals?

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with two tiny ones and have 5 now. The Moms are huge - 5-6" across. Already sold two juveniles to LFS when they were off the rock work...every time one comes off the rocks I grab them and isolate in a glass in the tank til I can take to LFS.

They are beautiful, but will nuke corals IME. Someone else on here had them cozied up to a euphyliia garden...so who knows? but im not taking the risk.

Has anyone had success with them co-habitating w corals?
I have one that I’ve been keeping an eye on… it’s close to my gold torches. Doesn’t seem to bother them so far but I did put a piece of rubble between them in order to make it stretch the other way.
I am also amazed at how big the mothers get! And how far they will reach from their foot to get to wherever they want to be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 31
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Borneman nems. And they are fairly easy to remove. Mine are in a dedicated nem tank I currently have 4. I've given about 6 away.
Not many hobbyist have them.
View attachment 2877845View attachment 2877846View attachment 2877847View attachment 2877848
I think I may do this in the future as well. I would love a carpet nem and I have a pretty massive tube anemone in one of my tanks as well. It recently ate my female scooter Blenny but she honestly wasn’t doing great from the day I got her. She ate readily but never gained any weight so I’m guessing she had a parasite of some sort.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a very beautiful anemone. I started with one and after 15 years. Very hardy and have very strong sting. I have never seen them loose against any marine animals, fish or invertebrates.
They reproduced by pinched off, the foot is leave behind to grow into another anemone.

I keep a 420 gal and 320 gal wo they are not really easy to remove from my tank.
My beautiful pests pictured below.
e80cbb87-3274-4690-86b5-a37393d3f9b6-jpeg.1350861

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back