bonding acrylic sheet "stacked" instead of perpendicular?

shrike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen in some sumps like the octo reef where acrylic is bonded to the front of the sump to outline the chambers or when the top brace appears to be 2 different color sheets bonded together. How is this done? I've tried bonding scrap pieces to clear acrylic with Weldon, only to leave a mess of air bubbles. has anyone ever done this, or is there a particular method?

reef-octopus-36-sump-review-7.jpg SK72-Front-Right.png

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
S

shrike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experienced member? He's a low effort attempt a tried but the air bubbles seem like an issue. If it's 2 colored sheets I don't think the aesthetic issues would show. I thought about just applying a tiny b bit around the edges but my concern is is that water could get trapped in between any gaps. I did some research and could not find any information about a method for doing this it's kind of hard to phrase or explain exactly what I'm talking about and it doesn't seem to be something commonly done.

In this picture I welded it to clear acrylic to be able to see what it looked like on the underside. I believe I was using well done three and both attempts but I'm beginning to wonder if there's some sort of different adhesive they would use for this.

Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated thank you

Attachments

• 20230523_204131.jpg
    20230523_204131.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230523_204121.jpg
    20230523_204121.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 21

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experienced member? He's a low effort attempt a tried but the air bubbles seem like an issue. If it's 2 colored sheets I don't think the aesthetic issues would show. I thought about just applying a tiny b bit around the edges but my concern is is that water could get trapped in between any gaps. I did some research and could not find any information about a method for doing this it's kind of hard to phrase or explain exactly what I'm talking about and it doesn't seem to be something commonly done.

In this picture I welded it to clear acrylic to be able to see what it looked like on the underside. I believe I was using well done three and both attempts but I'm beginning to wonder if there's some sort of different adhesive they would use for this.

Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated thank you
He’s built a lot of acrylic tanks.

@Joe Glass Cages or @Tenecor Aquariums could also probably help out, I know there are some others with acrylic experience but can’t remember

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a laminating adhesive that some people use. I have not used anything like that in years. I tried laminating thin acrylic as backgrounds for some experiments and they all bubbled over time. Lucky for me I experimented first and never offered them for sale. If you control Weldon 42 it might work.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weldon 40/42 will give you a super clean lamination… if you use 40 you gotta let the mixture sit for several minutes and allow the micro bubbles to escape then pour it on and laminate you pieces together. It’s messy as it squeezes out around the edges but be will be a flawless lamination with correct clamping and weight distribution..

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Laminated Panels on the Euro-Bracing and on the Side Panels. Perfectly Clear, I always wondered if they used Vacuum Pumps, and Vacuum Bags. Or if this was even possible with the Fumes from the Glue. At the Cabinet Shop, where I worked they Laminated Glued Plywood together, and used the vacuum system.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back