Bonded lightning maroon clowns wont lay eggs.

St103

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of bonded lighting maroon clowns, the female 4 years of age male 2 1/2 that wont seem to mate, and I dont know why. It's a 125g tank (long) have a bi color angel, a juvi emp angel and a couple of gobis sharing the tank that all get along.

-They go through pre spawning behavior of nudging each other around and wiggling.
-I see them regularly cleaning a spot in their clay pot beside an anemone they are hosted with.
-I feed 4 times a day of high protein foods that I supplement with garlic and vitamins.
-Have a consistent light schedual on a timer.
-Water parameters are mint as I do a 15% water change with r.o water weekly.

I've tried increasing the water temp a couple of degrees Celsius, droping the salinity 1.020 and doing more frequent water changes to try and trigger a spawn, yet nothing is working.

Besides getting them their own tank any one have any other tips, Thanks.

scottedontknow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because they’re together doesn’t mean they’ll actually lay eggs. Unfortunately some pairs just will never spawn, it could also be conditions of the tank. Mine will only spawn in almost perfect conditions (I have 5 pairs That spawn) and one pair that has been together for almost 4 years and nothing.

sabeypets

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of bonded lighting maroon clowns, the female 4 years of age male 2 1/2 that wont seem to mate, and I dont know why. It's a 125g tank (long) have a bi color angel, a juvi emp angel and a couple of gobis sharing the tank that all get along.
*Maroon Females can take 4 years to mature.
-They go through pre spawning behavior of nudging each other around and wiggling.
-I see them regularly cleaning a spot in their clay pot beside an anemone they are hosted with.
*It been suggested that An Anemone can be a distraction to them instead of laying eggs.
-I feed 4 times a day of high protein foods that I supplement with garlic and vitamins.
*Garlic has been proven to cause health problems. I feed LRS and TDO with excellent results.
-Have a consistent light schedual on a timer.
*You didn't say how long the lights are on.... they should be on 12 to 14 hours a day. Adding a couple hours a day to the regular schedule so the days are longer can help trigger spawning.
-Water parameters are mint as I do a 15% water change with r.o water weekly.
*15% probably isn't enough in a heavily feed tank. What are the the parameters? "Parameters are mint" tells me you are new to saltwater.
I've tried increasing the water temp a couple of degrees Celsius, droping the salinity 1.020 and doing more frequent water changes to try and trigger a spawn, yet nothing is working.
*You didn't say what the temperature is or was... should be 80F-82F. I personally don't mess with the salinity.
Besides getting them their own tank any one have any other tips, Thanks.
* Yes have patience

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are weird i have a bonded 10 year old pair that never lays and a new pair less than 2 years old that have already laid 2 clutches....and i thought they had to be at least 5 to 6 years old to be mature enough....so...weird...

Mical

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of all the changes maybe you should just stick to a normal SG 1.025 - 026, leave temp at 78-79 degrees. The changes you're making might be making them uneasy.

Anytime I have my hands in the tank alot, my 2 maroons literally vanish into the nems for days. If I leave it alone for days & weeks - they go to town. We get the bright orange eggs almost monthly.

Nutramar Foods

NeverlosT

SPS nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe vary the diet a bit but keep water chemistry more stable? Like try some live foods for a month and see if you notice any change? I have read that many fish will only spawn when they feel the environment has enough nutrition for them to create young and support the young. I am no pro though so please take that for what it is worth

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RC
Back