+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI
I have been trying to get some pics or a video of this guy for awhile now. Only noticed him about 2 weeks ago. I know the vid isn't the best but he is fast and shy. he is an dark green with bit of orange and some orangy strips. Black legs that are curved... and in the front it appeared to have short kinda claw things ..only got a quick glimpse
I think it maybe a bobbit. I lost an clown about 10 days ago and cant find her anywhere...i think he may be the culprit.

any help appreciated

Attachments

• worm.mp4
    3.9 MB
Last edited:
Corals.com
OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure but could be mantis shrimp?
yeah thx thats what it is... i googled it and it is the same...
now to try to catch it....there have been heaps of snail shells and even 2-3 crab carapices around the front of his hole...
thx and cheers for the help

CLICK TO VIEW

Kmst80

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah thx thats what it is... i googled it and it is the same...
now to try to catch it....there have been heaps of snail shells and even 2-3 crab carapices around the front of his hole...
thx and cheers for the help
If you can take the rock out hold it over a bucket and try to shake it out. Someone told me pouring mineral water over the rock would work too.
Or you try the good old bottle trap, not sure if the mantis is to smart for that though

OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since learning the identity of the bugger I have been reading up on them.....seems the jury is out whether they are friend or foe.. he is definitely eating the odd crab or two, prob a few snails and even more than likely momma clown... I dont really want to start pulling out rock to try and get rid of him..

thoughts keep or turf out?

Kmst80

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since learning the identity of the bugger I have been reading up on them.....seems the jury is out whether they are friend or foe.. he is definitely eating the odd crab or two, prob a few snails and even more than likely momma clown... I dont really want to start pulling out rock to try and get rid of him..

I've had one in my mixed reeftank for 10 month, i didn't loose any fish or snails or hermit crabs but i lost a watchman goby and pistol shrimp(can't say for sure it was the mantis though).
I took him out when i upgraded the tank since i was taking apart the rockwork.
He had grown to 2.5 inches.
Found at least one new mantis in the new live rock...so here we go again.
Photo of the mantis:
20221210_162321.jpg
20221210_163209.jpg
20221210_163351.jpg

IKD

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are aggressive predators and territorial. Your invertebrates are definitely food items and I suspect fish will be at risk crossing into his territory. Mantis shrimps can make awesome pets and people create dedicated setups just for them, but I would not recommend trying to cohabitate other critters with him in the long term.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
BaliReefBox

BaliReefBox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well this morning while checking his usual den he wasnt home...when scouting the tank I found him and his mate on the easiest piece of rock to remove from the tank as it wasnt attached to anything else... got them both. The mantis shrimp was over 2" long so it gives you some idea of the crab size

As far as the crab I think I read if they has "bill" rounded claws they are reef safe..any truth to this??? thx

Attachments

• 241.jpg
    241.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 13
  • crab.jpg
    crab.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 13
  • crab2.jpg
    crab2.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 13

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back