Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my lfs near me has a decent sized blue spot jawfish and I was wondering if I would have luck with it? I keep my reef at 72 f which is on the lower side temperatire wise on a reef. I was wondering if that’s cool enoug?

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my lfs near me has a decent sized blue spot jawfish and I was wondering if I would have luck with it? I keep my reef at 72 f which is on the lower side temperatire wise on a reef. I was wondering if that’s cool enoug?
The thing is these aren’t just cool water species, they’re temperate water species. To have them thrive long term you will want to try and raise the temperature for the summer months (June through to September) and then slowly bring it down for the Autum-Spring months (October-May).

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is these aren’t just cool water species, they’re temperate water species. To have them thrive long term you will want to try and raise the temperature for the summer months (June through to September) and then slowly bring it down for the Autum-Spring months (October-May).
Got it but, I have corals so how do i do this without hurting them

Kremis

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
temperature in the gulf can vary from 60-90 depending on where the location is. The most important thing about this fish is they need bigger tanks. You cant put one in a 30g. Or even a 50g. They need 4 foot tanks. They arent like the pearlies that just sit at their hole, they move around the tank a lot. put one in a small tank it will quickly succumb to blue spot jawfish disease within 2 months. They also need a lot of open areas. The biggest reason why people dont have success with this fish is that they shove them in 28gallon nano cubes because liveaquaria said the minimum tank size is 30g and then also only give them 1 inch of sandbed and have 30lbs of live rock. They need 2-3 inches of sand, plenty of rubble, and a LARGE open area to replicate their wild habitat and reduce stress. they can handle the temps, focus on the other aspects of their habitat first

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They prefer a lot of sand bed, not what our typical tanks look like... (think little to no live rock)... they also don't always care for busy/boisterous tank mates. They would probably thrive in a species tank. Some are successful with them but many are not for these reasons, some don't adapt well enough.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

CoralB

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 is fine . I strongly suggest that you have a tight mesh / lid over the tank as they were probably the most prolific jumpers that I ever owned . If there is a slit or any space that there is a opening , even if you think it’s too small to worry about , they will find it and carpet surf. Especially in the first couple weeks that they are acclimated to their new environment. Also give plenty of hiding spaces . They have a lot of character and are great to watch . Good luck and keep a lid over them :cool:

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 is fine . I strongly suggest that you have a tight mesh / lid over the tank as they were probably the most prolific jumpers that I ever owned . If there is a slit or any space that there is a opening , even if you think it’s too small to worry about , they will find it and carpet surf. Especially in the first couple weeks that they are acclimated to their new environment. Also give plenty of hiding spaces . They have a lot of character and are great to watch . Good luck and keep a lid over them :cool:
image.jpg

I have a bio cube and the lid is about as heavy as a brick

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back