Blue spiny lobster with a fangtooth eel?

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that fangtooths in particular aren't as much interested in shrimp but still do eat it nonetheless, the lobster is about i believe 4 or 5 inches in the picture (the lfs is far away so they usually send pictures of the new stocks on WhatsApp) the morays I intend to keep with the blue spiny lobster (panulirus versicolor) with a highfin moray (gymnothorax pseudothyrsoideus) and gray face moray (gymnothorax thyrsoideus) the eels are about 16 to 18 inches, particularly small, I will not take a risk, if there is anyway that they both can harm eachother especially if there's any damage which can be done to the eels the tank is a 60 gallon it's temporary for the eels but I would say permanent for the lobster incase if there is no issues

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1728574886880.gif

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
it’ll def become eel food, esp in a closed system…
perhaps you can keep them distracted by keeping them well fed, but it’s only a matter of time

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be an interesting experiment….

Obviously the teeth of a Gymnothorax are not designed for crushing a carapace nor do they have the strength of jaws of an echidna or Gymnomurena. And that lobster has a good carapace. With those sizes I don’t think you’d have an issue

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be an interesting experiment….

Obviously the teeth of a Gymnothorax are not designed for crushing a carapace nor do they have the strength of jaws of an echidna or Gymnomurena. And that lobster has a good carapace. With those sizes I don’t think you’d have an issue
I love experiments! (Just not those which would take a chip at my bank account haha)

But it's definitely something to see, i had once seen an eel aquarium full of big eels together in a 1000 gallon with a lobster, so I do wonder, but after a lot of thought and looking at how this specific lobster eats fish twice as big as him I would like to reconsider, but i am sure that keeping this guy would be really entertaining and fun! But for now I don't have a separate tank for him

Thanks a lot for the help!

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’ll def become eel food, esp in a closed system…
perhaps you can keep them distracted by keeping them well fed, but it’s only a matter of time
I would indeed say that depends on the type of eel, infact i was more worried about the lobster pinching my eel Lol, i have yet to see a fangtooth try to eat a lobster but I wouldn't take it out of the list either

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back