Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently learned that blue tangs can start eating fleshy LPS as the fish gets older. I have one that was one of only two fish that survived a velvet outbreak so we have a bit of history together. I've had him about 8 months. He's fat and looking good. I have not seen him eating corals but I have a new tank that is cycling and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and sell him before the switch.
I'm wondering how common it is that blue tangs eat corals. One LFS near me refuses to put any hippos in with corals because they have seen it happen too often. Anyone here with that same sentiment?

AquaCave Logo Banner

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently learned that blue tangs can start eating fleshy LPS as the fish gets older. I have one that was one of only two fish that survived a velvet outbreak so we have a bit of history together. I've had him about 8 months. He's fat and looking good. I have not seen him eating corals but I have a new tank that is cycling and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and sell him before the switch.
I'm wondering how common it is that blue tangs eat corals. One LFS near me refuses to put any hippos in with corals because they have seen it happen too often. Anyone here with that same sentiment?
Yes, some eat corals and some may not eat. I think if u feed them more, they will not disturb corals. If u start noticing it eating coral, feed it more

Enderg60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 25 years one of the regals I had ate zoas. I had never heard of any other blue tang eating corals until last week on this forum I found ONE other person who had ONE fish eat zoas.

So 25 years, and two cases. Not something I would be concerned about. Its a fluke, like that kid in school who like to eat dirt.

THAT said, 99% of the time someone thinks a tang is eating corals, they are just going for algae near the coral.

Nutramar Foods

Graemesreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them in just about every reef big enough to house them and never witnessed that. My guess is any fish hungry enough might pick at coral? The only odd thing ours does is bulldozing monti caps that get in his way which I guess is kinda doing my work for me.

Tanglover1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like keep them happy and they will keep u happy I.e, give them food and they will not disturb your coral. One of my friends suffered this problem as he feeds only 1 time the tang. Blue tang needs 2-3 times good feedings. That's what the problem is. I can understand that some blue tang can be evil in case like this but u can't assume all the blue tangs to be non reef safe. I have kept many and never found any problems with any type of tang. Only thing is they may show some aggression to some fishes but never trouble corals. Sometimes they just go for algae which is their favorite food and by mistake they get the taste of the coral.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've had a couple that decided zoanthids were a food source even while being well fed.
Once that happens nothing will convince it to stop.

Top Shelf Aquatics

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 180g that is probably 5 inches and was smaller than a damsel when I got it. Mine too survived a velvet outbreak when many fish did not. I have never seen mine touch a coral and I have some fleshy lps in the tank.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back