Blenny dead why?

Nutramar

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so over the past few weeks I’ve had some strange occurrences in the tank. Currently I’ve had 1 anthias and 1 Midas blenny die each laying on the bottom then dying 2 days later the anthias I saw had enlarged pupils but I didn’t recover his body. The blenny same thing started laying on the ground not able to swim and breathing normally idk what happened but I have pics of the blenny any ideas and help appreciated
C507C7BF-3937-4A8F-8FB8-9A7A0BB6D6C6.jpeg
31197462-03A8-4ECA-BA53-C9F547C97B5F.jpeg
6000CE47-02D4-48B2-994C-982A0D606F52.jpeg
image.jpg

Full tank shot. Also the markings are from the power head where I found him just now.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

twentyleagues

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an established tank of almost a year maybe last month I tested ammonia and it was 0
That may be but you had one fragile fish die and go missing. Its decay could have caused an ammonia spike. Other params could be off also. Were they both eating? I get that one is deceased but it looks thin, sunken stomach. I dont think the vortech did that.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be but you had one fragile fish die and go missing. Its decay could have caused an ammonia spike. Other params could be off also. Were they both eating? I get that one is deceased but it looks thin, sunken stomach. I dont think the vortech did that.
Yes both were eating

Top Shelf Aquatics

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your other parameters?
What is your CUC?
Any CUC member losses lately?
What is your maintenance routine and in particular your algae cleanup routine like?
If it is Dino’s in your sand bed it would be toxic in the long run to your tank inhabitants. I’ve seen a tank that had managed to bottom out nutrients due to algae overgrowth which then permits Dino’s to also come in, even when feeding was heavy and algae was out of control. Kind of counterintuitive but basically a simultaneous algae and Dino break out. The only course of correction was manual algae removal to bring parameters and mostly nutrients back up and in check.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your other parameters?
What is your CUC?
Any CUC member losses lately?
What is your maintenance routine and in particular your algae cleanup routine like?
If it is Dino’s in your sand bed it would be toxic in the long run to your tank inhabitants. I’ve seen a tank that had managed to bottom out nutrients due to algae overgrowth which then permits Dino’s to also come in, even when feeding was heavy and algae was out of control. Kind of counterintuitive but basically a simultaneous algae and Dino break out. The only course of correction was manual algae removal to bring parameters and mostly nutrients back up and in check.
Algae removal is tangs got a decent size cuc but haven’t seen any losses maintenance is water change weekly about 30% nitrate .9 and po4 is .47

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params seem okay, nitrate may be a bit low but I think that’s more from a reefing perspective. Hard to say for certain what’s causing these issues and your losses. You mentioned the fish are eating fine, but do they by chance seem to be “overweight” or “underweight” prior to death?
It’s also hard to tell from a corpse what the cause of death was, particularly in this case since the corpse was pulled against a power head. Perhaps someone more experienced than me will chime in.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params seem okay, nitrate may be a bit low but I think that’s more from a reefing perspective. Hard to say for certain what’s causing these issues and your losses. You mentioned the fish are eating fine, but do they by chance seem to be “overweight” or “underweight” prior to death?
It’s also hard to tell from a corpse what the cause of death was, particularly in this case since the corpse was pulled against a power head. Perhaps someone more experienced than me will chime in.
I did have a bio pellet reactor running during these deaths but it was running directly into a skimmer any chance that reactor could be the cause I’ve turned it off since yesterday and orp went up by 2

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a bio pellet reactor running during these deaths but it was running directly into a skimmer any chance that reactor could be the cause I’ve turned it off since yesterday and orp went up by 2
It is possible you bottomed out your nutrients without realizing during that time period and then mistook new Dino growth for cyano. The full tank picture is not super clear and there’s some glare on the glass but from what I see, it seems like you may have Dinos in your sand bed in that pic.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible you bottomed out your nutrients without realizing during that time period and then mistook new Dino growth for cyano. The picture is not super clear and there’s some glare on the glass but from what I see, it seems like you may have Dinos in your sand bed in that pic.
It may be possible I’m not sure

Top Shelf Aquatics

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be possible I’m not sure
I don’t want to lead you down the wrong path to an incorrect conclusion or diagnosis here, but if it were dinos as I mentioned above they could be toxic to your fish over time. Have you tried chemiclean for the algae? If it’s cyano on your sand bed it should clear up, if it stays then you’ve probably got dinos.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to lead you down the wrong path to an incorrect conclusion or diagnosis here, but if it were dinos as I mentioned above they could be toxic to your fish over time. Have you tried chemiclean for the algae? If it’s cyano on your sand bed it should clear up, if it stays then you’ve probably got dinos.
I’ll see what I can do thanks for the info

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back