• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

BLEMS - Phycology Nightlight - My original design! - $70 shipped

Item Price
Shipping
YES shipping is available

rhizotron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling Terms Of Service
  1. YES I have read the terms and agree to them
BLEMS - Phycology Nightlight - My original design! - $75 shipped

This is a simple design, but it's taken me a while to get everything resolved. The Phycology Nightlight is essentially a miniature wall-mount aquarium equipped with a mini LED lamp to grow a live phytoplankton culture while casting a soft, natural green glow.

WEB-lamp-III.jpg

I've observed the best results with Nannochloropsis oculata live culture. This phytoplankton has a very bright green color, usually stays in suspension by itself and is easy to grow with a few simple supplies. Along with the Phycology Nightlight culture I like to maintain the Nannochloropsis in a couple of 1-quart mason jars on a windowsill as backup.

You may find other natural pigment liquid media to fill the Phycology Nightlight. This image shows a nightlight of a somewhat different (older) design filled with Nannochloropsis as well as a warm amber tannin tea brewed from natural Oak leaves.

WEB-nightlights-screw-mount-I.jpg

I may eventually sell the Phycology Nightlight in my Etsy shop, but for now I just want to do a limited sale with a set of blems that I have ready to go. Minor cosmetic flaws imay include very minor scuff marks on the plastic tube or a little excess sealant around the bottom. You will hardly notice these with the nightlight plugged in and hung up on the wall. With all the parts, fabrication and assembly, I will eventually need to list the Phycology Nightlight at about $150, but I'm offering this small batch of blems here at $75 shipped.

Here is everything included with each Phycology Nightlight - 25 kit.
  1. Wall-mount bracket with tee-nut stoppers and cord holder
  2. 25cm (10") cylinder enclosure
  3. USB LED plug assembly
  4. 10' USB power cord
  5. Bright white USB LED
  6. Color-changing RGB LED
  7. Dry wall anchors & #6 steel wood screws
  8. Instruction sheet (not shown)
WEB-12-XIII-22-phycology-instruction-sheet-I.jpg

Note that the kit does not include a 5v USB adapter required for powering the LED. This very common item--you probably have several in your home--can be acquired anywhere electronics are sold.

If desired I can pack a small amount of live Nannochloropsis culture as well as some Guillard′s (F/2) algae nutrient medium in 2-dram vials at no extra charge. The only additional things you will need to start the culture will be some reef salt along with a few common kitchen measuring items.

PayPal "Goods and Services" payment accepted. Kits ship with tracking via USPS Priority Mail.

Thanks for looking! Just send me a note to inquire about purchasing or with any questions that may come to mind.

Cheers.

WEB-lamp-I.jpg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
rhizotron

rhizotron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much for the responses I've received already! I really appreciate it.

Many of the members here are surely Nannochlopsis already as live reef food, but I can include a quick starter kit with the live culture, 1ml transfer pipette and a couple of 1-dram vials of Guillard's F/2 formula at no extra charge. The only additional items you will need to start the culture are reef salt, glass pint or quart jars and a few common kitchen utensils. Just let me know if you want me to pack this with your Phycology Nightlight - 25 basic kit.

WEB-Nannochloropsis-Guillards-I.jpg

Also available: dried Oak tree leaves for preparing a natural tannin tea. While this is not a living culture, the tannin tea can fill the Phycology Nightlight clear cylinder to create a warm amber glow with very easy care. Preparation requires only clean water and a few common kitchen items. Basic instructions are included with the Phycology Nightlight instruction sheet.

WEB-Oak-Leaves-I.jpg

Thank you again!

WEB-nightlights-screw-mount-I.jpg

Last edited:
Corals.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back