Bleaching anemone?

kevstaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m not sure if this posted the first time but I’ve these rbta for about 4 months now and they’re doing doing but I decided to switch my lights from this https://a.co/d/j7dbQBh to the radion xr-15 blue. Within about 4 days I noticed 2 starting to become translucent. I also didn’t acclimate them to the new light ( which I read you’re supposed to do) so I was wondering what I should do. Should I switch back to my old light or is that too late? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

AB02BE57-2104-4684-BEBA-EA68CC4D4E97.jpeg 48865905-1AA6-4B48-A8AC-38821B169C7D.jpeg 8F284E60-12EA-4F06-A8DF-20A6CEF0F87D.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any PAR readings? (Even before and after lux readings will work.) There's other variables that are involved in bleaching. What are nitrate and phosphate numbers? Are you dosing any labile DOC (carbon dosing).

OP
OP
kevstaa

kevstaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any PAR readings? (Even before and after lux readings will work.) There's other variables that are involved in bleaching. What are nitrate and phosphate numbers? Are you dosing any labile DOC (carbon dosing).
Hi thanks for responding. I just measured the par they are currently at and it’s about 150par . I got kinda worried so I put the original lights back on but when I had the radion (for the 3 days they were on) the par was about 180. I also just tested my nitrates and phosphates.
Nitrate- 5ppm
Po4- 0

OP
OP
kevstaa

kevstaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for responding. I just measured the par they are currently at and it’s about 150par . I got kinda worried so I put the original lights back on but when I had the radion (for the 3 days they were on) the par was about 180. I also just tested my nitrates and phosphates.
Nitrate- 5ppm
Po4- 0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undetectable PO4 is problem and can bleach corals. Feed your fish more. Here's a couple links to check out:

OP
OP
kevstaa

kevstaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undetectable PO4 is problem and can bleach corals. Feed your fish more. Here's a couple links to check out:

So as of right now I feed my fish once, every other day. should I just feed more and test my water everyday to see how much food I should be feeding? Thanks for your help

OP
OP
kevstaa

kevstaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u turn the lights down. Or move it in less light
I actually switched back to the lights they were originally under. It seems like they have stopped getting worse but they haven’t gotten much better. Still translucent, just not as much. so maybe the light switch was the main issue . My lights are running
0% white
55% blue
55%royal blue
55% violet
No reds or green (not sure if this matters) about 150 par
I also forgot to mention that the 2 anemones that did start bleaching , split the day before or after I switched out the light . I can’t remember but this is what they look like now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 3

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as of right now I feed my fish once, every other day. should I just feed more and test my water everyday to see how much food I should be feeding? Thanks for your help

Definitely feed more. Besides being an important part of the carbonate cycle in reef ecosystems, fish poop supplies important nutrients to phototrophs or mixotrophs like corals. FWIW my systems get fed multiple times a day with spectrum pellets.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back