Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this blastomussa from a store that labeled it "blue raven", but the colors do not match that of what I find when I search blue raven online (the store mainly deal with freshwater and has some saltwater so I assume they arent as knowledgeable as saltwater only stores). I have been trying to find similar color morphs online to no avail. The blasto in the picture has green at the very center of the polyp, around that is blue with a hint of purple, and then around that is orange/yellow. I think the blasto is a merletti based on polyp size.

I went to a different store today that is strictly saltwater and they said that it doesn't look like a blue raven to them. I told them that I paid $400 for it (it has 40ish heads on it) and they said that was a good buy anyway and that the blasto looks really cool, which I agree with.

Screenshot_20220512-140246_Photos.jpg

Avast

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time you attach a name to a coral the price goes up x10. Best to buy from local reefers to avoid price gouging. Get the same things for much cheaper. Personally never purchased a coral that matches the type and color, however I would have been in the 60-80$ range or passed.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

DeepintheReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a blue raven, but likely the same species. It’s some type of Blastomussa merletti, which the blue raven falls under. Just be advised that they will change colors under different lighting setups and intensities, so they may or may not keep that coloration.

I bought some yellow blastos similar to that and they turned more orange under intense T5 actinics, whereas the seller had them under LED radions.

OP
OP
W

W0terMoist

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a blue raven, but likely the same species. It’s some type of Blastomussa merletti, which the blue raven falls under. Just be advised that they will change colors under different lighting setups and intensities, so they may or may not keep that coloration.

I bought some yellow blastos similar to that and they turned more orange under intense T5 actinics, whereas the seller had them under LED radions.
I will take that into consideration. Blastos like low light and low flow I read. The store I got them from had very blue lights and medium flow. I placed it in my tank where it gets low light, not as blue, and medium to low flow.

I have noticed that corals I get from stores tend to color up more in my tank after being in it for a couple weeks.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
W

W0terMoist

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this blastomussa from a store that labeled it "blue raven", but the colors do not match that of what I find when I search blue raven online (the store mainly deal with freshwater and has some saltwater so I assume they arent as knowledgeable as saltwater only stores). I have been trying to find similar color morphs online to no avail. The blasto in the picture has green at the very center of the polyp, around that is blue with a hint of purple, and then around that is orange/yellow. I think the blasto is a merletti based on polyp size.

I went to a different store today that is strictly saltwater and they said that it doesn't look like a blue raven to them. I told them that I paid $400 for it (it has 40ish heads on it) and they said that was a good buy anyway and that the blasto looks really cool, which I agree with.

View attachment 2669948

Attachments

• 20220512_181059.jpg
    20220512_181059.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 26
Corals.com
AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back