Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys I bought a clownfish about 3 weeks ago and today I noticed 3-5 black spots on it, i did a water change yesterday. I've read it could be black ich or nothing at all so can I have some help diagnosing it and what to do about it. It was hard to get a good picture but this is what I got

image.jpg

Nutramar Foods

cloak

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any corals in the tank? Sometimes when a clownfish brushes up against certain ones it will leave black spots like this. There's a name for this, but I can't remember it right now.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

cloak

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's the GSP or the zoanthids, but stranger things have happened. Usually these spots are caused by anemones or various LPS coral like Frgspawn, Torch, Bubble etc.

Is the fish behaving normally and eating well?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
S

Saumann7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's the GSP or the zoanthids, but stranger things have happened. Usually these spots are caused by anemones or various LPS coral like Frgspawn, Torch, Bubble etc.

Is the fish behaving normally and eating well?
Yes I fed him last night and a bit today just to make sure he was still eating, I didn't see the dots yesterday and that's when I did a water change so I was watching him pretty well, could stress or something cause this? I've lost 2 other fish from my unrelated stupidity so I'm trying to keep him alive. The spots aren't small like the pictures I've seen of black ich so I'm not sure.

AquaCave Logo Banner

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could green star polyps cause that?

That I do not know, as I have not dealt with it myself. As @cloak said it is typically seen more often with anemones and lps. To me it looks like hyper-melanization, however I'll call in @melypr1985, she'll know.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyper-melanization - agreed. That's exactly what it looks like, however I've never seen GSP do that to a clownfish. It's possible of course, but I'm wondering if maybe you have something else in the tank that could have caused it.... aptasia or galaxia maybe?

OP
OP
S

Saumann7

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyper-melanization - agreed. That's exactly what it looks like, however I've never seen GSP do that to a clownfish. It's possible of course, but I'm wondering if maybe you have something else in the tank that could have caused it.... aptasia or galaxia maybe?
There's nothing else in the tank that I can see at all, I have some zoas that have some stuff growing out of them(see my other posts) but that doesn't seem like an anemone because it would kill the zoas and also it does in just a couple days without light, the tank is pretty bare by reef standards.

Top Shelf Aquatics

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing else in the tank that I can see at all, I have some zoas that have some stuff growing out of them(see my other posts) but that doesn't seem like an anemone because it would kill the zoas and also it does in just a couple days without light, the tank is pretty bare by reef standards.

Just keep an eye on him... the hyper malenization will fade after a few days.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep an eye on him... the hyper malenization will fade after a few days.
Agree. Sometimes this mysteriously happens and we don't know why. Perhaps a hidden hitchhiker stung the clown or bit it. Who knows. It'll be fine, though :)

Corals.com

greenhorn reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've heard that gsp does cause hyper-melanization in clowns when they try to host. I was in a similar situation were my clown was the only one in the tank, along with a gsp, and after he stopped brushing against it, the spots faded. You never heard of gsp causing this or never saw it?

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that gsp does cause hyper-melanization in clowns when they try to host. I was in a similar situation were my clown was the only one in the tank, along with a gsp, and after he stopped brushing against it, the spots faded. You never heard of gsp causing this or never saw it?

I've never heard that before or seen it. There's a first for everything!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back