Black Bugs?

gspeed124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I noticed some of my corals are losing some of its color and not looking the healthiest. I took a flashlight to them tonight and see bugs crawling all over them. Are these the dreaded black bugs or something else? I have linked the video. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I noticed some of my corals are losing some of its color and not looking the healthiest. I took a flashlight to them tonight and see bugs crawling all over them. Are these the dreaded black bugs or something else? I have linked the video. Thanks for your help!

I can see (and hear) the bottom video...I'd say the same thing if I saw that. I can't tell what color those bugs are, white, red, black or brown, but whichever type they are, they are not good to have crawling all over your acros. Are you sure they are not white? White bugs and red bugs are pretty easy to kill off in tank.

OP
OP
gspeed124

gspeed124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol yes I was quite shocked. I cant really tell they certainly aren't red bugs but cant tell if they are white or black. They seem to be more translucent in color I will try to get a better video tonight. Im assuming the best option will be interceptor first to see if that works.
I can see (and hear) the bottom video...I'd say the same thing if I saw that. I can't tell what color those bugs are, white, red, black or brown, but whichever type they are, they are not good to have crawling all over your acros. Are you sure they are not white? White bugs and red bugs are pretty easy to kill off in tank

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
gspeed124

gspeed124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Looks to be the dreaded red bugs and are the pest troublemakers. They feed on the tissue of smooth skinned acro corals and while most dont kill coral, its their growth and reproduction rate thats an issue. They are a type of copepod bug and yes interceptor pill crushed is often a solution to knocking them down.
Do realize interceptor can and will likely kill inverts, crabs-shrimps-pods and I therefore recommend removing all inverts OR treat the coral in a separate tank without inverts and will also reduce amount of the interceptor needed.
Treat 3 times a week for 3 weeks at 25mg per 20 gallons of water. Each pill needs to be ground up with a hammer and should treat about 400 gal. Do application initially. About 8 hours later, add another. Then blow the coral GENTLY with a turkey baster and 8 hours later add another dosage. DO NOT repeat until day 7 doing another 3 treatments every 8 hours.
REMOVE CARBON AND TURN OFF ANY UV STERILIZERS AND SKIMMER UNITS.
Each 7 day periods, do a water change and siphon surfaces.

1. You need the 51-100lb (23mg) plain interceptor (not plus)
  2. 1 pill per 100g at a minimum
  3. Treat every week for 3 weeks

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be the dreaded red bugs and are the pest troublemakers. They feed on the tissue of smooth skinned acro corals and while most dont kill coral, its their growth and reproduction rate thats an issue. They are a type of copepod bug and yes interceptor pill crushed is often a solution to knocking them down.
Do realize interceptor can and will likely kill inverts, crabs-shrimps-pods and I therefore recommend removing all inverts OR treat the coral in a separate tank without inverts and will also reduce amount of the interceptor needed.
Treat 3 times a week for 3 weeks at 25mg per 20 gallons of water. Each pill needs to be ground up with a hammer and should treat about 400 gal. Do application initially. About 8 hours later, add another. Then blow the coral GENTLY with a turkey baster and 8 hours later add another dosage. DO NOT repeat until day 7 doing another 3 treatments every 8 hours.

I’d recommend keeping the skimmer ON but the lid off and turn the valve so the skimmer overflows. This will help with PH and oxygen.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I had zero crab and snail deaths. Shrimps, I'd remove. I kept my skimmer on, just turned it down a bit and it was fine. Carbon and UV off. You only need to dose/treat 1x/wk for 3 weeks. No need to scale the treatment e ery 8 hours and no need for water changes. Imo these are the old instructions. People have treated 1x/wk with interceptor at 3x the recommended levels without issue, and no water changes.

OP
OP
gspeed124

gspeed124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ok sounds good thanks for your help!

OP
OP
gspeed124

gspeed124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had zero crab and snail deaths. Shrimps, I'd remove. I kept my skimmer on, just turned it down a bit and it was fine. Carbon and UV off. You only need to dose/treat 1x/wk for 3 weeks. No need to scale the treatment e ery 8 hours and no need for water changes. Imo these are the old instructions. People have treated 1x/wk with interceptor at 3x the recommended levels without issue, and no water changes.
Yes that’s what I was just reading it does look like you can only get interceptor plus. I will keep the skimmer on. Hopefully I can knock them at soon.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You want the regular Interceptor and not Interceptor Plus
Interceptor Plus contains a second active ingredient - Praziquantel.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back