Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets be real. There are tons of lights on the market, but one thing definitely remains true; black box leds cost WAY less than the so called "real" reef lights toted by big name aquarium companies. I'm talking price gaps of $500 to $1000 different when you include the $100+ mounting arms (that are free in black box set ups btw... I mean really? $100 for a $8 metal arm at cost? In addition to the huge cost of the light?) Its clear why i think a lot of people would choose black boxes over big name lights. So I really want to know, what makes a $1000 light so much better? The simple fact that the mounting arm is an overpriced add on makes me believe its more of a money grab scheme than anything else. So, this is a real question, I really want to know what makes them worth the 5x - 10x extra cost.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
CLICK TO VIEW

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build quality, customer support, software/apps, spectrum R&D, power supplies, and the led diodes(luxium, cree, etc) = $$$. Black boxes are great and can grow coral just fine, but they usually lack many of the qualities listed above. Not that there aren't high priced fixtures that use cheap parts with mediocre build quality. They are plentiful. I think it's very difficult to find an led fixture that ticks all the boxes.

I have an ATI Straton on my display and use Smatfarm G5s on my frag tank. I go both ways. ;)

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 300 watt viparspectra over a standard 125. Whites on jumps par big time..the vipars whites are WHITE though. They grow coral fine but no ramp up/down. Overall great lights. I've had orphek, ai, radion and maxspect throughout the years. All great lights..orphek was my favorite light..ai favorite app..viparspectra favorite value. 14" above waterline and 150 par on sand.
20220617_211012.jpg

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build quality, customer support, software/apps, spectrum R&D, power supplies, and the led diodes(luxium, cree, etc) = $$$. Black boxes are great and can grow coral just fine, but they usually lack many of the qualities listed above. Not that there aren't high priced fixtures that use cheap parts with mediocre build quality. They are plentiful. I think it's very difficult to find an led fixture that ticks all the boxes.

I have an ATI Straton on my display and use Smatfarm G5s on my frag tank. I go both ways. ;)
Funny seeing you here...small world..lol

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back