Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was told at a reef show that you can attach the AI prime to the underside of the hood of a biocube and not have to remove the hood (of course remove the stock lighting). seems like it would be too close to the water for that tight of a beam. has anyone done this? if so what mounting hardware? and did you have to drill new vent holes?
not sure I want to remove the hood and rim (looks crappy without the hood but rim remains/// imo)
thanks

BRS

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it. You would have horrible spread and very intense hotspot issues. The only lights I would consider that with would be two kessil a80's but still I don't like any light that close to the surface other than something like reef brite lumilite's

OP
OP
likemike99

likemike99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it. You would have horrible spread and very intense hotspot issues. The only lights I would consider that with would be two kessil a80's but still I don't like any light that close to the surface other than something like reef brite lumilite's
yeah I thought it would be too close. I guess I just wanted to believe it would work. common sense tells me I should have know better

goody

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering buying a used 14g Biocube and using my AI Prime 16HD. I saw a mod where they gutted the hood and drilled a hole on top big enough for the AI prime LED puck and had it sitting on top of the hood. Not sure I like that look but it does put the light a bit higher.

I'm probably going to remove the hood and use my AI Prime with the mounting bracket.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering buying a used 14g Biocube and using my AI Prime 16HD. I saw a mod where they gutted the hood and drilled a hole on top big enough for the AI prime LED puck and had it sitting on top of the hood. Not sure I like that look but it does put the light a bit higher.

I'm probably going to remove the hood and use my AI Prime with the mounting bracket.

Don't put it in the hood as it will cause an extreme hotspot issue

goody

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not planning on putting in the hood. Was just mentioning a mod I came across that had the AI Prime ON the hood. See here

Top Shelf Aquatics

BigDangler

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not planning on putting in the hood. Was just mentioning a mod I came across that had the AI Prime ON the hood. See here
looks cool but seems insanely close to the water and the spread would still be terrible being that close.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back