+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

If anyone still follows me I have been trying to source large angelfish (pre quarantined preferably) for a long time for my 500G wall tank. I haven't added much to it in some time and I've had a couple of losses. My angels in there are big and aggressive so I need either several large aggressive additions or perhaps several smaller less intimidating (submissive) angels to grow out. They're impossible to find, so I decided to try a different angle.

I decided to run with some aquacultured angelfish from both Poma Labs and Biota Group. I will focus this review on Biota Group, and make a separate one for Poma Labs. (See this thread about the conspic/blueline purchase from Poma if you wish: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/poma-labs-review-conspic-angel-and-blueline-purchase.953782/)

Let me first say that the customer service at Biota Group was great. They were very responsive. I purchased juvenile goldflake, cortez, and asfur angel from them last week.

All fish arrived FAT, HEALTHY, and BEAUTIFUL. About 1.75 - 2.5 inches in size. All three are eating well in quarantine. Highly recommend!!

I will try to get some photos up soon!

B22D5DB1-282A-4A14-A337-94EECCF21857.jpeg 6C7D0BBB-7159-42D9-ADDE-13F6EE4B8D43.jpeg 85B5BF12-1EB5-48E3-81D1-7C924C42C1EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful angels. It seemed you didn't quarantined the angels from Poma Lab but these biota ones you did. Do Poma lab quarantined their fish?
Tangy, I did one round of double dose prazi and decided it best since they’d not been exposed to other pathogens not to further QT the Poma fish.

As I understand it, biota uses natural sea water thus could bring parasites though many don’t seem to QT from there. I chose to prazi 2x and observe these.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! The Gold Flake as far as I can tell is of pure lineage and not one of the hybrids with the Flagfin or Griffis. Love Asfurs too. Now, Blue Line? :)
The crosses are okay for rarity but haven’t seen many that (in my opinion) were prettier than pure. That’s only my opinion though, some people like the rarity! :)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to say the purebred Goldflake is by far the superior fish. :) The cross looks like an awkward compromise. Pure all the way!
Yes, I agree with you there! Though, part of me would be curious to see what some of the adults look like once mature/large. Some may be really neat specimens but I suspect many others would be quite "odd" ugly ducklings of sorts. Hard to know!

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back