+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just got this new bio-denitrator (Sulphur reactor) set up and I noticed that no matter how I prime it to the full water level, over time, the water level inside the reactor will DROP to the level in the attached photo. All media are still submerged, but somehow there are air bubbles flowing up through the media. Knowing that the reactor needs to promote anaerobic bacteria, I don't know if it's going to work as desired. It's only been up 10 days so too early to tell yet.

The model is Korallin S1502 with poor instructions. The Eheim recirculation pump is positioned on top of the reactor (and I suspect that's the issue). The inlet is taken from the sump, and I have a stepper (peristaltic) pump on the outlet to consistently pull water out. I have a feeling it has something to do with the water level in the sump that is lower than the recirc pump, but my sump is on the ground and I can't change it.

Please share your insight and how I can improve things. Thanks!

OIP.jpg image0.jpeg

Attachments

• Video.mov
    896.2 KB

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried connecting the dosing pump to the inlet rather than the outlet?

My guess is that the negative pressure from pulling rather than pushing is drawing in air at some point that is not perfectly tight

Also make sure everything is tightened

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
L

linjuncheung

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well given that the return from this reactor is dripping effluent back into the sump, I lifted it above sump's water level to keep an eye on the dripping rate, so it won't be able to siphon.

Is the return from the filter higher than the filter? Could the return be an accidental siphon to that level?

OP
OP
L

linjuncheung

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did connect it to the inlet on the first try and it immediately give me that problem of water level dropping ... and after talking to other people it seems the normal way to do is to let the stepper pump to be connect to the outlet line, so that it pulls water (effluent) away from the reactor.

The inlet is just sitting at the sump floor level, pulling water in. I am surprised to see air getting in given I've tightened everything and primed it to 100% full.

Have you tried connecting the dosing pump to the inlet rather than the outlet?

My guess is that the negative pressure from pulling rather than pushing is drawing in air at some point that is not perfectly tight

Also make sure everything is tightened

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where exactly the air is coming from? The whole thing has to be leaky somewhere after all for air to come in, it's kind of a closed loop.

The valve on the degassing line maybe? Some fitting in that piping assembly? I'm assuming you don't see any air in the outlet line?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
L

linjuncheung

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see gas bubbles being drawn in through the inlet feed ... so it is very likely to be air vent line ... thx! will swap it out and check later.

Do you know where exactly the air is coming from? The whole thing has to be leaky somewhere after all for air to come in, it's kind of a closed loop.

The valve on the degassing line maybe? Some fitting in that piping assembly? I'm assuming you don't see any air in the outlet line?

stephanjupillat

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a used one and couldn’t get it to work. Threw it away. Bought an aquamaxx calcium reactor, the smallest one, as the sulfur denitrator in small has been out of stock for as long as I can remember. Same thing really.

bought a Kamoer doser and push 14ml a min through it. Works very well.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is completely normal. The "air" collecting at the top of the reactor is nitrogen gas that is a byproduct of the bacteria consuming the nitrate in the water. That is why there is the vent port on the lid. You will need to vent the gas as needed unless you set up a bypass to vent the nitrogen automatically.

I have the same reactor.
Screenshot_20221102-182607_Gallery.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
L

linjuncheung

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is completely normal. The "air" collecting at the top of the reactor is nitrogen gas that is a byproduct of the bacteria consuming the nitrate in the water. That is why there is the vent port on the lid. You will need to vent the gas as needed unless you set up a bypass to vent the nitrogen automatically.

I have the same reactor.
View attachment 2885936

great! I just opened the air vent to release the gas buildup inside the chamber. Thanks for the tips!

The instruction on this equipment couldn’t be worse!

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back