Biocube cracked, shpuld the new one go in the same place?

BRS

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biocube cracked a month ago. I just got the replacement in. The area where the old tank was is the perfect corner of my living room for the tank to be in. I have hardwood so it got a little damp before I caught the leak. It’s since dried. I have no idea why the tank cracked. This particular corner has a heating vent, and a window. Not sure if either of those two things contributed or not. What do you think reefers? Should I move my tank somewhere else?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular corner has a heating vent, and a window. Not sure if either of those two things contributed or not.

Extreme heat and cold can crack glass. Certainly not sure as to how hot the tank got near the heater vent, or how cold it got. probably not the issue, or why the tank cracked, but something to think about.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it was pretty much anything other than the heat vent. The temperature differential between the tank's temp (80ish I assume?) and the warm air coming from the vent that has had a chance to mix with room air long before it gets to the tank will be minimal, at best.

I'd take a good long look at just how level and planar your stand is. I suspect that it is the culprit.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it was pretty much anything other than the heat vent. The temperature differential between the tank's temp (80ish I assume?) and the warm air coming from the vent that has had a chance to mix with room air long before it gets to the tank will be minimal, at best.

I'd take a good long look at just how level and planar your stand is. I suspect that it is the culprit.
+1 I agree with his whole post, maybe add a thin foam pad between the tank and stand when you set this new one up.

Nutramar Foods

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think they could’ve been the cause of the crack?
Yes. You window also has glass in it and is near a window (duh) and the heater. I assume it didn't crack as well. Glass can take some heat, cold, and sunlight no problem (that's why they use it in windows). Having your tank not being level on the other hand will cause extra stress/pressure on part of the glass and can cause cracks.

I'm a window installer/Glazier if you can't tell ;)

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You window also has glass in it and is near a window (duh) and the heater. I assume it didn't crack as well. Glass can take some heat, cold, and sunlight no problem (that's why they use it in windows). Having your tank not being level on the other hand will cause extra stress/pressure on part of the glass and can cause cracks.

I got the new one up and I had leveled the stand perfectly before the tank went on. The tank is on now and it’s hard to measure where it’s a biocube but I’m reading maybe 1/8” out of level. But I’m also using 3’ level on a much shorter tank. Will this be an issue?

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got the new one up and I had leveled the stand perfectly before the tank went on. The tank is on now and it’s hard to measure where it’s a biocube but I’m reading maybe 1/8” out of level. But I’m also using 3’ level on a much shorter tank. Will this be an issue

BRS

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the new one up and I had leveled the stand perfectly before the tank went on. The tank is on now and it’s hard to measure where it’s a biocube but I’m reading maybe 1/8” out of level. But I’m also using 3’ level on a much shorter tank. Will this be an issue
Leveling a biocube is annoying for me, as you need to check the stand and then when on it. The top plastic rim may not be all the way down around the top of the tank. I use a 1’ level on the bottom glass to level them. Had too many of those things I have setup for people never be level checking off the tip plastic trim. The bottom is usually seated very well.

Also, some biocubes just crack for no reason. Usually the got beat up a little in shipping and it usually happens at the curved edge.

Also, you can check the stand with the level at a bunch of angles to make sure the stand is actually flat. That is a big issue as well. One “lip” or “bump” can make them crack over time as well. The curved corners in the front just do not like that.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leveling a biocube is annoying for me, as you need to check the stand and then when on it. The top plastic rim may not be all the way down around the top of the tank. I use a 1’ level on the bottom glass to level them. Had too many of those things I have setup for people never be level checking off the tip plastic trim. The bottom is usually seated very well.

Also, some biocubes just crack for no reason. Usually the got beat up a little in shipping and it usually happens at the curved edge.

Also, you can check the stand with the level at a bunch of angles to make sure the stand is actually flat. That is a big issue as well. One “lip” or “bump” can make them crack over time as well. The curved corners in the front just do not like that.
I haven’t tried the bottom. I got the stand perfectly level before I put it on there. Not the top plastic rim is showing out of level ( I guess, I’m not a carpenter, it’s within the two middle lines but touching one of those two lines barely). The water level is level across the whole thing and it’s level from to back and side to side. It’s just diagonal it’s showing off level.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And yes mine cracked at the curved edge: I think it was cracked (small one) when it came in.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes mine cracked at the curved edge: I think it was cracked (small one) when it came in.
Do you have a small bullet level? If not, you can take a tape measure and measure from the bottom of the glass inside the tank to the top of the water in a few places and check for level that way. Just be sure to let the water come back to a full rest once you put the tape measure in.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a small bullet level? If not, you can take a tape measure and measure from the bottom of the glass inside the tank to the top of the water in a few places and check for level that way. Just be sure to let the water come back to a full rest once you put the tape measure in.
Idk what a bullet level is

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got like a 1ft one. Maybe 9”
That would work perfect. Check for level with it sitting directly on the bottom glass. That will rule out a rim that probably is not all of the way flush against the top of the glass.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is full, just hold it there with you hand and look. Make sure it is clean first though and be sure to rinse it off well with tap water when done, provide you are not testing with tap in the tank. If it is tap in the tank to check for leaks or whatever, then no worries. Just shake the level out gently and let dry.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is full, just hold it there with you hand and look. Make sure it is clean first though and be sure to rinse it off well with tap water when done, provide you are not testing with tap in the tank. If it is tap in the tank to check for leaks or whatever, then no worries. Just shake the level out gently and let dry.
Hold it where? On the waterline?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold it where? On the waterline?
Bottom glass in the water. Again, make sure level is clean and rinse level in tap water after if salt water is in the tank.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back