+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m new here and want to get some recommendations for upgrading my biocube.

currently I have the following:
Coralife biocube 32 led
Sicce 1.5 return pump with dual return loc line
1 koralia 240gph pump
1 koralia 425gph pump
1 koralia 565gph pump
1 koralia wave maker for two of the pumps
Coralife skimmer v2
InTank media basket with chemi pure elite and phogaurd
InTank fuge (I made sides apx 3 inches with multiple drilled holes in each so chaeto and live rock don’t fall out but there is plenty of flow)
Bbj nano glow led for chaeto
10 pounds live sand
35-40 pound live rock
Basic heater

I’m looking into purchasing Steve’s leds with the bluefish control you upgrade the lights as I want to keep the hood on the tank. Looking to go full reef with this tank.

I was also considering a small hang on back media reactor for some GFO but I’m undecided...

let me know what else you experienced guys reccomend while keeping the hood.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Reefin87

Reefin87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothings wrong with it aside from limited lighting. Just looking to see what else is out there that could make my setup better. I’m looking to turn it into a reef sps and lps
Corals.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would definitely avoid a reactor since it's not necessary. Be careful not to make phosphates 0 as you have 3 phosphate removers. For other gear, maybe a controller that can shut off your heater if it breaks. Other than that I really dont think there are many beneficial changes that you can make other than maybe upgrading lights if you arent getting the color or par you desire.

OP
OP
Reefin87

Reefin87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha ok, what do I want the phosphates at?

ok so the lights are the only thing at this point. I’ve read a lot about Steve’s lights but I’m concerned about the heat any thoughts? Also, would u get them with the extra blues the upgrade?
Would u recommend something different? I live in Las Vegas so the summers are hot!

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha ok, what do I want the phosphates at?

ok so the lights are the only thing at this point. I’ve read a lot about Steve’s lights but I’m concerned about the heat any thoughts? Also, would u get them with the extra blues the upgrade?
Would u recommend something different? I live in Las Vegas so the summers are hot!

Usually I find people keeping them between 0.03 and 0.1

When you hit zero you run the risk of getting something like Dinos (same goes for nitrate). Plus the corals and what not need a little

Corals.com

hllb

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, everything I read said the stock leds cannot grow clams or sps corals.
I upgraded to Nanobox reef lights and the light was too much for my monti. I had to lower them quite a bit and it started to recover. It was thriving under the stock lights. No acros in my tank though, so can't speak to that.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said that
I upgraded to Nanobox reef lights and the light was too much for my monti. I had to lower them quite a bit and it started to recover. It was thriving under the stock lights. No acros in my tank though, so can't speak to that.

I was gonna say I have seen some people with Montipora sp. in their biocube 32's with stock led.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

hllb

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said that

I was gonna say I have seen some people with Montipora sp. in their biocube 32's with stock led.
Yes, my poor monti just bleached really badly. Turned the lights down and it started recovering, quite nicely. But then I treated with reef flux, which stopped my WCs for 3 weeks, and now it's almost dead...hoping it can recover again, but dang, it's a finicky little frag. I didn't purchase it - it was given as a freebie (because normally, I wouldn't have gotten SPS for a new tank, but hey, what else to do when it arrives with an order?).

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take the top off and put a nice light on it.

We have a 32g cube and we love it without the lid. No heat issues and cromag a member here makes lids that are amazing!

This gives you a ton of options for lights!

AS

ELL23

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my biocube using Steve’s LED

D8822F46-2E41-49A1-9337-E8A9353C7600.jpeg

ELL23

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube looks way better with the lid on. Removing it will expose all of the stuff on the rear sump which doesn’t look good. And putting a top cover lid so fish will not jump looks so bad.

You got a lot of options with Nano Led lighting or Steve’s mod. Both can grow any corals.

If you’re going with the hood off then you better remove the lid as well to get a clean look.

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Biocube looks way better with the lid on. Removing it will expose all of the stuff on the rear sump which doesn’t look good. And putting a top cover lid so fish will not jump looks so bad.

You got a lot of options with Nano Led lighting or Steve’s mod. Both can grow any corals.

If you’re going with the hood off then you better remove the lid as well to get a clean look.
It's all a matter of opinion ;)

Just out of curiosity do u have one and are you speaking from personal experience?

The back being exposed is no worse than a waterbox and those guys charge big bucks!

The trim if that's what you mean by lid is easily removed as well but in my opinion does not look terrible.

Can we get a shot of your pretty tank with the clean look? :)

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Reefin87

Reefin87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I want to keep the hood as it’s a clean and finished look. When we move I want to do an In wall tank that is much larger but everything must be covered. I don’t want to see lights or anything.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back