Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, have you had success with bio pellet reactors for keeping nitrates in check.

Is there a downside to using one ?

Why you use one / don't use one .

I'm new to the hobby and would love you're thoughts and opinions.

MarineandReef Jaron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have use biopellets in the past and some of our office tanks use them. They definitely work and I would use them again in some situations but there are also some downsides.

The benefit of biopellets is that they manage nitrate and reduce phosphate with 1 product that is clean and easy to service. Compared to an algae filter or refugium the pellet reactor keeps the sump area much cleaner and I do miss that about my pellet reactor.

The biggest downside IMO is the price. in my 200 gallon tank I was spending $180 US dollars on biopellets each year to keep my reactor topped off. With an algae filter, I do have some electricity from the light but I also had electricity from the pellet reactor feed pump so I can essentially save $180 by using an algae filter to manage nutrients rather than the pellet reactor.

BRS

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason i dont use one is there is no advantage to it over vodka dosing which is a million times simpler

if you dont have backup power and they go down i would assume when it restarts thats not good on your system (but ideally you have constant power )

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t time biopellets, so you are also carbon-dosing at night when pH and O2 are lowest. It’s also more expensive.

Vinegar or vodka are great options because they are inexpensive, effective, and can be dosed with a pump or manually.

Nutramar Foods

Saltyanimals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now 6 months into my BP journey and documented the process along with several others on the link below. I summarize by saying they work. However now that I'm 6 months in, I'm starting to experience some of the maintenance draw backs that did not present itself for the first 4 months or so. i.e clumping So now back to the boards to research and read on others experiences for longer term users.

I'm questioning if my experience is localized to maybe my particular brand of BP or flow. Logically this shouldn't be unique as the bacteria mulm has to come off any BP. The pellet composition may affect the bacteria consumption rate and thus have a relationship to mulm and clogging, but is clogging inevitable? The draw for BP is low maintenance vs a doser for vodka or other carbon sources to refill, but not if it means a regular clogging issue to resolve to keep it running.

Has anyone gotten away from the clogging issue with any variation of flow or adjustments? Has anyone encountered mulm build up in pipes for long time BP use?

There are several other threads with similar discussions so I'm asking this question on those as well since we have different users across those discussions.

Saltees

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another benefit of BP over liquid carbon dosing I see is that it provides the medium/housing for the bacteria, especially in a FOWLR bare bottom system with UV running 24/7. Also the bacteria slime is limited to the reactor and chamber in which the reactor resides, whereas for liquid carbon dosing, you get the slime building up all over your tank, IMHO.

Last edited:
BRS

Dolphis

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to liquid carbon dose, but found the slime to be a nuisance! So BP will be better in that respect, however, as pointed out, you can’t control it, as it’s constantly running.
The easier and cheaper (in the long run) way, is to set up a fuge with chaeto.
Once you have it set up, the only running cost is electricity for the light.
Plus it’s a great habitat for micro fauna and you can use it to keep your ph stable at night. There’s little maintenance, harvest the chaeto, throw it out and done!
You don’t even need a big fudge either

Saltyanimals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a small round magnet in my reactor to un clog my pellets, also using a DC pump you can turn it on full blast to give it a good cleansing.

NanoMag Magnet Glass Cleaner - Two Little Fishies
Something like this.

That's brilliant! That would work to quickly loosen up the clogs inside the reactor. Great tip! I realized I needed not to fill my reactor too much because it would clump faster. Maybe with this tip, I actually could fill it more.

What about the slime or mulm build up everywhere else? I haven't ran the BP long enough, but there were readings of some kind of build up in pipes that suggest it may affect flow over time. Has anyone experienced this? Maybe I'll do a bit of preventive drain-o to prevent pipe clogging. lol

Aside from the BP's affect on tank pH, it seems like a solution so far. Just hoping it's a long term solution if I can get a handle on pH when compounded by a CaRX. I run a fuge with a reverse lighting schedule. Just doesn't provide enough No3/PO4 reduction benefits alone. Pods great.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bacteria bloom on two tanks, one that zero carbon dosing, possible cross containment, the mulm would get on the glass, on the pumps, tubing and heaters. It took a long time to get rid of. So do not over do it, less is more.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back