Bio Media? Something better than Marinepure?

AI Nero 5

MantisShrimpMan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some bio media to provide extra surface area for both nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. Obviously marine pure is a big name in the field, but I really don’t want to risk dealing with the aluminum issues that seem to have been discussed quite contentiously in past forums here.

So what media can I use as a marinepure alternative to achieve a similar degree of success? So far, the ones that sound noteworthy are Seachem matrix (and by extension de*nitrate), siporax (which I believe I already have in the tank) and Polyplab genesis. Obviously, other competitors include marinepure itself, brightwell, maxspect, seaside aquatics, etc.

thoughts? Which have the best porosity without risking aluminum or other issues?

OP
OP
MantisShrimpMan

MantisShrimpMan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use live rock it works great.
My tank doesn’t seem to have quite enough surface area on the rockscape itself and it’s an AIO so I can’t just throw chunks of live rock into a sump chamber. Trust me, I’d do this if it were an option.

AquaCave Logo Banner

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a BRS video, but truly cant remember. I used Seachem Bio Pond Matrix, I have a 5.3 gallon/20 liter pale of the media, they are bigger than marbles and so porous that when I first loaded my sump with the 5.3 gallon/20 liter pale, 1/2 of the media floated on the top of the sump for a day or two. Been in there since 2018, I do ICP all the time, no aluminum in my water

Last edited:
Corals.com

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-My tank doesn’t seem to have quite enough surface area on the rockscape itself and it’s an AIO so I can’t just throw chunks of live rock into a sump chamber. Trust me, I’d do this if it were an option-

In no way whatsoever does this tank require any extra surface area, not ever. can you post a tank pic before you buy any extra supports I want to run this thread through an updated cycling science analysis for a big thread that's building.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with your tank picture, and no test kit data whatsoever we can permanently discern whether or not your cycle is in a condition requiring support. you can then manage the tank as stated, without any extra gear, and we use that as proof of updated cycling concepts vs old ones, that ever hinted a reef display could be low on surface area.

BRS claims that bunk all the time, I routinely call them out in their youtube comments as fleecing buyers using old cycling science scare modes. one tank pic is all updated cycling science gpt requires :)

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you really need more denitrification you could hook up an external coil denitrator.. but i dont see how you have room for the marine pure or whatever bioblock..but not room for live rock rubble.. (bust up a rock or 2)

seems to me those bio blocks would trap detrius and not work very well at all but i have never tried them

BRS

330Bob

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've used Cermedia blocks and spheres in my sump for 10+ years same 8x8x4. They never clogged up as people have said and they have not turned to dust like others have said.
All you are doing is trying to get more surface area the bacteria will grow on it and nothing is more porous.
In contrast if you put a bowling ball it too will grow the bacteria but only on the surface zero on the inside (but the finger holes :))

+ for Cermedia!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some bio media to provide extra surface area for both nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. Obviously marine pure is a big name in the field, but I really don’t want to risk dealing with the aluminum issues that seem to have been discussed quite contentiously in past forums here.

So what media can I use as a marinepure alternative to achieve a similar degree of success? So far, the ones that sound noteworthy are Seachem matrix (and by extension de*nitrate), siporax (which I believe I already have in the tank) and Polyplab genesis. Obviously, other competitors include marinepure itself, brightwell, maxspect, seaside aquatics, etc.

thoughts? Which have the best porosity without risking aluminum or other issues?
Live rock works best.

Chuck some more in the tank or in the sump.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using pumice (Seachem Matrix) because it’s lighter than crushed coral and now doubtful the internal surface area quoted by manufacturers stays viable longterm based on information since learned about biofilms. Considering Fluval Bio-FX which has larger pores but haven’t confirm their internal structure is open vs just dimples that don’t connect. Looks promising but little data or reviews on it. In the end easier to just get smallest grain pumice and rely on the voids between the grains for bacterial placement.

Was using Bio Stars in the early to mid 90s. Best I recall. Those were the first media to have an internal connecting structure. Recall their magazine ads showing that under an electronic microscope. Those seem to still be available but don’t see any using it.

Curious to see longterm studies on these so called internal surface area media on their porosity and permeability as to their internal structure once biofilm has been established. Do they still have the same quoted internal surface area. I’d like to believe, again.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Biota Marine Life
Back