Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any issues with aluminum being too high? If so, how did your corals react to it? I just got back my icp test and it shows high aluminum +31 and I’ve searched everywhere for anything rust but found nothing! Some people say bio bricks are known for causing this high levels! Just removed it and it crumbled on me.

Another thing I’ve found in the icp test is high chloride +248.6 NEVER SEEN IT THAT HIGH

my first post btw

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know of a particular one that doesn’t do this? My tank is sand less so I basically use it for biological filtration
I don't. I saw an image the other day where someone posted a bunch of grey powder that came out of their bio pellets when they drilled to expand the holes in them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloride is the most abundant ion in seawater and should be around 19,000 ppm. 248 ppm is not accurate. If it is anything close to 19,000 ppm, it is fine.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
R

Reef Mafia

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 17

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+248.6 means past the recommended levels
19543 + 248.6 according to icp

That's perfectly fine. Don’t let icp companies make you think everything needs to be exactly what they claim.

AS
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot of uncertainty in the toxicity of many elements detected by icp since that tool says nothing about the chemical form.

In general, I’d try to keep aluminum down to levels below 50 ppb, and I’d probably do something if it got over 100 ppb.

I used no aluminum compounds and my value was only 1.6 ppb.

Top Shelf Aquatics

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be from the bio bricks if they're deteriorating, yes (this only seems to be with certain types, though).
Marine pure blocks? I saw about them but not about their biospheres. Do you use that company? I got the genesis rocks you recommended, they’re definitely more better built. Was thinking about brightwell aquatics brick, do you use them?

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine pure blocks? I saw about them but not about their biospheres. Do you use that company? I got the genesis rocks you recommended, they’re definitely more better built. Was thinking about brightwell aquatics brick, do you use them?
Yes, I have some 4x8x8 bricks from Marine Pure (and the do chip easily). Not brightwell, but I do have the new Polyp Lab ones.

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have some 4x8x8 bricks from Marine Pure (and the do chip easily). Not brightwell, but I do have the new Polyp Lab ones.
I guess I’ll just keep my marine pure brick since I just have 1 and I’ll add the brightwell brick along side it. I already have 2 boxes of the spheres, 1 Maine pure brick, 6 genesis rocks and now the brightwell brick. I didn’t see the mp reduce nitrates so thinking I need more. I don’t think more biomedia is bad, what do you think?

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’ll just keep my marine pure brick since I just have 1 and I’ll add the brightwell brick along side it. I already have 2 boxes of the spheres, 1 Maine pure brick, 6 genesis rocks and now the brightwell brick. I didn’t see the mp reduce nitrates so thinking I need more. I don’t think more biomedia is bad, what do you think?
I removed a bunch of my bio media (2 boxes of the 1.5" spheres) as I just didn't have the space and it was ending up as a detritus trap. According to the specs, just two (2) of the Polyp Lab 'squares' are sufficient for my tank - and I put eight (8) of them in, so...

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
https://www.triton.de/en/
Back