Bimac anthias brown spot and white stringy poop

jdbot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. A bimac anthias i’ve had on my DT since earlier in the year stopped eating a day or so ago and had white stringy poop. It’s breathing fast and I noticed a small brown spot on its side. This morning I found it perching on a rock and breathing faster.

I was observing first before treating, but seems to be getting worse. Any thoughts on what it could be? I’m concerned about uronema, though the white stringy poop and not eating throws me on the side of parasites.

Will do a better video on white light but in the meantime this is one I got last night right after feeding.

#fishm#fishmedics]

Attachments

• output.mov
    40.9 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The stringy feces appears to be from Excess mucus in the stomach lining especially of you are exclusively feeding mysis and brine shrimp. If so add foods such as TDO pellets, LRS fish frenzy and plankton to diet
Fish is breathing a little heavy and may have dots on him as early ich. Its hard to see from lighting and moving forward, please post any images Under white light intensity

OP
OP
jdbot

jdbot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081 ! I do primarily feed mysis and brine, but also TDO pellets and plankton.

I’ll add pics/video in white light as soon as I get back home.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081 ! I do primarily feed mysis and brine, but also TDO pellets and plankton.

I’ll add pics/video in white light as soon as I get back home.
Stop mysis a few days and you should see change and consistency in color feces

OP
OP
jdbot

jdbot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Here’s a video with white light, current condition, perched on the rock and breathing heavy. Brown spot looks like uronema to you? Also notice a white spot close to the eye?

Attachments

• IMG_0054.mov
    36.6 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks. Here’s a video with white light, current condition, perched on the rock and breathing heavy. Brown spot looks like uronema to you? Also notice a white spot close to the eye?
Looking at tail, the fish may be a victim of aggression from another tank mate. Cant see body in video but there is noted a lot of floating debris in tank which is a no-no with anthias as its one of the causes of uronema which they are susceptible to. Same applies to elevated salinity with 1.025 best
Spots dont appear as uronema which is oval and ciliated and often joined with raised scales. You Can safely add Ruby rally pro which covers certain issues with anthias fish

OP
OP
jdbot

jdbot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @vetteguy53081 I noticed the tail, too, but I think that was a few days back. I think the culprit is a white tail bristletooth tang that from time to time goes on an anxious spree.

Thanks for the pointers on the debris and salinity. The former may be due to feeding before the video was taken, but I will monitor. Salinity is ok, if anything a little low right now (1.0245).

I have never dosed anything (medicine) on the DT. Is Ruby Rally pro generally ok with acros?

Appreciate all the pointers and the prompt responses! This community is so awesome.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ruby is safe with corals and inverts

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. A bimac anthias i’ve had on my DT since earlier in the year stopped eating a day or so ago and had white stringy poop. It’s breathing fast and I noticed a small brown spot on its side. This morning I found it perching on a rock and breathing faster.

I was observing first before treating, but seems to be getting worse. Any thoughts on what it could be? I’m concerned about uronema, though the white stringy poop and not eating throws me on the side of parasites.

Will do a better video on white light but in the meantime this is one I got last night right after feeding.

#fishm#fishmedics]

It sure looks like it could be Uronema, but really, I only see that in newly acquired fish, for it to show up after many months of doing well in your tank is pretty much unheard of...but maybe? Hopefully not, because despite what you might read, internal uronema is pretty much impossible to treat in a fish that has stopped eating (oral medications are the best bet).

OP
OP
jdbot

jdbot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Jay Hemdal ! It feels like it but I am hoping not. Fish is now on its 3rd day without eating, so doesn’t look good. Will update on any resolution.

OP
OP
jdbot

jdbot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish didn't make it. Hard when they stop eating. Ruby rally pro is slow acting, so didn’t get to have an effect.

In the end, I’m not sure if it was disease or aggression, or both. Monitoring other fish for any symptoms, just in case. Thanks @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 for your prompt perspective and help!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Sorry to hear. Yes it takes 1-2 days to st
The fish didn't make it. Hard when they stop eating. Ruby rally pro is slow acting, so didn’t get to have an effect.

In the end, I’m not sure if it was disease or aggression, or both. Monitoring other fish for any symptoms, just in case. Thanks @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 for your prompt perspective and help!
Sorry to hear. Yes it takes 1-2 days to start working, Any future anthias, give them a 60 minute ruby bath with aeration as a cleanser and assure salinity is not elevated

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back