Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. I joined this forum about a year ago, as I started accumulating pieces to start my own little piece of the ocean. I ended up with a 160 gal Oceanic tank, which I had rebuilt and drilled in the back. Long story short, I finally read enough to gain confidence to get the show on the road. This is my first tank, so I'm sure I'll make plenty of mistakes, just bare with me.

I didn't weigh the rock when I put it in, but I'm pretty sure everyone will say I need more. There's 140 lbs of live sand and 145 total gallons of water in the system. I have 2 overflow boxes with (2) 1 inch drains, 1 main and 1 emergency per box. Next to the overflows are 3/4 inch returns. A Jeabo wavemaker on both sides and a big return pump (secondhand so not sure on size) give me a lot of flow. I went with a second hand ReefOctopus 160 skimmer in the sump, which might be a little small, but I don't plan on a giant bioload. For lighting, I have a ReefBreeders led that came with the tank, but I plan to add 4 t5s to supplement.

My plan for the tank is a mainly LPS dominant reef. I really like acans and chalices. I'll have a hammer or 2 and probably add whatever strikes me at the time. Fishwise, I want the goby/shrimp pair, tangs, a blue spotted jawfish, and I'm sure my daughter will talk me into clowns. Any suggestions on stocking will be greatly appreciated.

Anyways, I've started adding water to the tank on 10-4 and had it full on the 6th (1.026). I started phantom feeding flakes on Friday, once a day. Today I tested with the API masterkit, pH 8, 1ppm ammonia, 5ppm nitrite and 40ppm nitrate. Do these numbers sound right, early to mid cycle? I noticed, what looks like, some algae growth today. I think this is the start of the ugly stage of the cycle. What should I do go get rid of it?

Sorry for the long winded post, here are some pics.

full

full

full

full

full

Nutramar Foods

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off congrats man! Tank looks great, and no you don't need more rock. You have to remember half the corals you will get come on decent size rock. Keep us posted!

And yes, it sounds your tank is in full cycle mode. Keep a check on it.

OP
OP
BigMan87

BigMan87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off congrats man! Tank looks great, and no you don't need more rock. You have to remember half the corals you will get come on decent size rock. Keep us posted!

And yes, it sounds your tank is in full cycle mode. Keep a check on it.

Thanks. It's been a long time coming, but I'm excited to finally see real progress.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's been a long time coming, but I'm excited to finally see real progress.
Yea dude it's an amazing process. As you've proboly heard before... be patient. Good things will come with time. As hard as it is at times it really is the key.

OP
OP
BigMan87

BigMan87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a few Lfs today, trying to get an idea of which fish I would like in my tank. I know its early in my tenure in this hobby, but here is an early stock list I've come up with. What do yall think? I really like the goby, jaw fish, lavender and powder brown tangs.

2 - clownfish
1 - blue spotted jaw fish
1 - watchman goby
1 - royal gamma
1 - yellow tang
1 - powder brown tang
1 - lavender tang

OP
OP
BigMan87

BigMan87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have a lid for the Blue spot Jaw. Jumper. I’d get a couple clowns first for Cycle and maybe the gramma. Tangs should try all together a little later

Thanks for the info. So the 3 tangs should be ok for my tank, just as long as they're introduced together? Can I put them in the same QT tank or should I do it 1 at a time?

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. So the 3 tangs should be ok for my tank, just as long as they're introduced together? Can I put them in the same QT tank or should I do it 1 at a time?
Can never be sure but I have purple, yellow, hippo together. Yellow was in first, Brutal to the purple I had first added. Killed him! He was a bit smaller than the Purple though. I then added a large purple and the Yellow tried him for just one second before quickly was put in his place. Hippo is a Brute yet rather passive if not feeding. They all get along well. I did not put in together which probably cost me the first purple

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
BigMan87

BigMan87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm cycled. Seems kind of quick, but I'll take it. Nitrates are sky high l, so I'll do a water change this weekend wait a day and test again. Going to wait until next week sometime before I buy my first fish.

Question. Do I keep phantom feeding or let it ride like as it sits?

20181023_180346.jpg

OP
OP
BigMan87

BigMan87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t help to throw a very small number of pellets each day; just don’t go overboard, since you don’t have even a CUC in there yet I suppose.

I guess I should have phrased the question better? Can I just let it ride like it is, or do I need to keep phantom feeding?

Also how much CUC do I need? Like 30 assorted snails?

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back