Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently dosed magnesium like an idiot since I got hair algae and someone more experienced said magnesium allows more species of algae to grow so hair algae will get out competed. So I dosed 4ml of fritz RPM mag. I am unsure if before or after the mag spike is when the hammer started acting strange. Both the hammer and framer are less puffy and the hammer is flat on top? I thought it might be splitting or maybe just too much direct light? Idk let me know what you think. Alk 7.8 Calc 440 Nitrate 0-5 ppm Phosphate 0-0.25 ppm ph 8.2 salinity 1.025 temp 77⁰F Can't test for mag :( broke a rule. ALSO, I MOVED THE HAMMER BEHIND THE FRAMMER SO ITS IN PARTIAL SHADE AFTER THESE PHOTOS.
Screenshot_20230403_175043_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230403_175000_Gallery.jpg

Kristopher Conlin

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? Phosphates between 0 and 0.25 is a massive range.

I would first do a few water changes. Maybe 30% daily for three days or so. This will bring your levels back to normal and have the added benefit of lowing your phosphates which is adding to your GHA growth.

I would also get a mag test kit(salifert is cheap) and see where you are at if you plan on dosing more.

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently dosed magnesium like an idiot since I got hair algae and someone more experienced said magnesium allows more species of algae to grow so hair algae will get out competed. So I dosed 4ml of fritz RPM mag. I am unsure if before or after the mag spike is when the hammer started acting strange. Both the hammer and framer are less puffy and the hammer is flat on top? I thought it might be splitting or maybe just too much direct light? Idk let me know what you think. Alk 7.8 Calc 440 Nitrate 0-5 ppm Phosphate 0-0.25 ppm ph 8.2 salinity 1.025 temp 77⁰F Can't test for mag :( broke a rule. ALSO, I MOVED THE HAMMER BEHIND THE FRAMMER SO ITS IN PARTIAL SHADE AFTER THESE PHOTOS.View attachment 3094819View attachment 3094822
Why do you say you dosed like an idiot, 4ml does not sound like a lot? How big is the tank?
The corals behavior may be unrelated. Your params dont look terrible if tests are accurate, ph could come up.

OP
OP
Trevor Paden

Trevor Paden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? Phosphates between 0 and 0.25 is a massive range.

I would first do a few water changes. Maybe 30% daily for three days or so. This will bring your levels back to normal and have the added benefit of lowing your phosphates which is adding to your GHA growth.

I would also get a mag test kit(salifert is cheap) and see where you are at if you plan on dosing more.
Api phosphate kit has a massive range between each color. I believe my phosphates to be 0. I do 3-4 gallon water change a week.

OP
OP
Trevor Paden

Trevor Paden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say you dosed like an idiot, 4ml does not sound like a lot? How big is the tank?
The corals behavior may be unrelated. Your params dont look terrible if tests are accurate, ph could come up.
20 gallon red sea nano reefer. And the idiot part is chosing to do it without testing before or after. I think it's unrelated to the cause. I believe it was too much direct light. I moved it to the shade and within an hour there is a noticeable improvement.

Attachments

• 16805637339823534135024067852775.jpg
    16805637339823534135024067852775.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 12

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I recently dosed magnesium like an idiot since I got hair algae and someone more experienced said magnesium allows more species of algae to grow so hair algae will get out competed. So I dosed 4ml of fritz RPM mag. I am unsure if before or after the mag spike is when the hammer started acting strange. Both the hammer and framer are less puffy and the hammer is flat on top? I thought it might be splitting or maybe just too much direct light? Idk let me know what you think. Alk 7.8 Calc 440 Nitrate 0-5 ppm Phosphate 0-0.25 ppm ph 8.2 salinity 1.025 temp 77⁰F Can't test for mag :( broke a rule. ALSO, I MOVED THE HAMMER BEHIND THE FRAMMER SO ITS IN PARTIAL SHADE AFTER THESE PHOTOS.View attachment 3094819View attachment 3094822
This may very well be a split. Its not recession nor dying. Have your phosphate checked at an LFS that does not use Api test known for false readings. Have them check also nitrate and ph level.
While hammer is not picky about location, they do best at lower third of tank Off the sand which irritates them.
Moderate light in which yours looks a little high *see mine in pics) and moderate flow. Excess flow can cause what you have If not a split and you want the polyps waving gently, not vigorous or bent over the skeleton. Also on skeleton, they need calcium and therefore should not be lower than 400.
Feed them mysis shrimp - not powdered foods.

Here are some of mine:

1680564040375.png
1680564084434.png

OP
OP
Trevor Paden

Trevor Paden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may very well be a split. Its not recession nor dying. Have your phosphate checked at an LFS that does not use Api test known for false readings. Have them check also nitrate and ph level.
While hammer is not picky about location, they do best at lower third of tank Off the sand which irritates them.
Moderate light in which yours looks a little high *see mine in pics) and moderate flow. Excess flow can cause what you have If not a split and you want the polyps waving gently, not vigorous or bent over the skeleton. Also on skeleton, they need calcium and therefore should not be lower than 400.

Here are some of mine:

View attachment 3094999View attachment 3095005
I've been feeding reef roids soaked in ab+ for a day and immediately before serving I add a dash of live phytoplankton. I guess I shoulda just fed mysis. I think it is a split, but I guess only time will tell. OH and as flow goes I think it was a bit high, but in the new shaded position it has more moderate and random flow.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've been feeding reef roids soaked in ab+ for a day and immediately before serving I add a dash of live phytoplankton. I guess I shoulda just fed mysis. I think it is a split, but I guess only time will tell. OH and as flow goes I think it was a bit high, but in the new shaded position it's much more moderate and random.
Assure its Not water flow spreading the polyps like that

OP
OP
Trevor Paden

Trevor Paden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here are some of mine:

View attachment 3094999View attachment 3095005
I've been feeding reef roids soaked in ab+ for a day and immediately before serving I add a dash of live phytoplankton. I guess I shoulda just fed mysis. I think it is a split, but I guess only time will tell. OH and as flow goes I think it was a bit high, but in the new shaded position it's more moderate and random. Oh and I think it is splitting.

OP
OP
Trevor Paden

Trevor Paden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure its Not water flow spreading the polyps like that
Might of been. I moved it to the shade for direct light reason, but it's also a little lower flow. Either case it still looks like it's maybe splitting, but the hammer was in the same spot for a month and a half super happy. So maybe just SLIGHTLY too much flow.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back