Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a few good deals off Amazon lately. I am doing a budget build at the moment, and have been looking for all the best deals. Just today I bought from BRS, SaltwaterAquarium.com, and KB Reefs. I found a few things on Amazon as well though- that were just too good to pass up. I HOPE.

I bought name brand salt, 200 gallons/$50; and a 1700 pump for $42- it's working great for my skimmer- last week. Today I got dry rock, 40lbs/$53, and 12-Inch base dry rock, 40lbs/$46.

The salt, is pretty much a solid buy. The live rock... well... there are mixed reviews on there. Mostly good. But- I AM- taking a chance. I have bought other stuff (non-aquarist) off Amazon, and it can be real hit or miss sometimes.

I would like to avoid the misses, and get the wins; and it'd be great if this thread can help anyone else out as well. So, if you have a product that worked out really well, or not so well... Post a comment. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been buying things off of Amazon for years and we love it. We would buy red sea coral pro salt because they were the cheapest for about 4 years. It's a good idea to always price shop before making any purchase as Amazon is not always the cheapest. We only had one issue, but it wasn't technically Amazon. It was a third party seller that uses thier site. Amazon quickly took care of it and we were able to get that seller to stop carrying a name brand product (which they weren't selling anyway). We have bought pumps (parts), skimmer parts. I think people really need to pay attention to the seller and that's were people make bad buys and then blame Amazon. I treat it just like ebay. Pay attention to the seller and where the product is coming from and of course price. If you see a t-shirt selling for 2$ you know you are going to get what you pay for.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find Amazon to be the best place to reliably get commonly used things such as filter floss and medias. It's also a great place to get non-frozen food.

I'm also one to buy things from the clearance/open box section on SaltwaterAquarium.com which is where my basically new lighting came from as well as some other odds and ends. In fact most of the equipment except for my pumps and heater on my tank is an open box special either from there, Amazon, or eBay :D However, I agree with @Lovemyreef2015 that you have to pay close attention to the seller.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I absolutely agree, with paying attention to the seller. I try to buy from Amazon mostly, and avoid outside sellers unless they have high reviews, and a lot of them. I got a Rio Plus 1700 pump the other day. So far it's great, and Amazon got it to me in 2 days with free shipping. The Instant Ocean salt I ordered is taking a lot longer. I ordered it on the 6th, it's latest due date is this Friday... They are cutting it close on this one. I'd advise someone who needs salt asap, to avoid this product, unless they upgrade shipping.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 gallon reef crystals 56.98 shipped. I did notice that Bulk reef is carrying reef crystals for almost the same price now. Next time I think I'll order from the little guy.
I can say this about BRS, their free shipping is fast. Especially since I am getting 80lbs of sand, ordered it yesterday, and it's halfway here. That was the free shipping option.

Top Shelf Aquatics

doughboy

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always check for prime items that are sold as like new condition (seller is Warehouse deals, which is amazon's returns department). these are returns and generally carry 10% discount off new, and they are like new.

I got the 40 lbs rocks sold as like new for $37
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DI7F0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
got jebao dcp5000 sold as like new for $65.

some items on amazon prime can be delivered same day, although there seems to be fewer of those now than they used to. most items listed as 2 day I get the following day if I order early enough.

Kzguns

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking it was 50 POUNDS... Not gallons... The 200 gallon is definitely the better deal.

Bulk is always a better deal. The 50gal bag at my lfs is $35 so for me it’s a deal. I only get 1 at a time since I can get it in two days or less that way I have less stuff to store in my mix area which is pretty small
I’d love to see what tpack is getting I’m always looking for a deal.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
T

Tedzilla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find great deals at local stores. I get instant ocean for 32.99 for the 200 gallon box here in Pa. Hidden Reef
Man... I wish I was a little closer, that's a steal. Petco here in State College, the only LFS that sells salt, goes for $80 for 160 gallons.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back