Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After struggling to control nutrients for a while, my nutrients have been steadily dropping to the point where I'm thinking I might want to do something about it. I have a 350 gallon system, it's about 9 months old. For nutrient export, I have a skimmer and algae scrubber. I also have a fleece roller. I'm doing 10%/week water changes through daily changes using a dosing pump. My nitrates have been dropping about 2% a week for the last month, phosphates have been dropping also, but not as dramatically.

I'm thinking I either want to do one or more of the following, or a combination, but I'm open to suggestions:
1) Feed more heavily
2) Cut back on water changes
3) Run the skimmer less
4) Run the algae scrubber less.

Thanks.

Top Shelf Aquatics

CrunchyBananas

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just start with feeding more heavily. If that doesn’t help, try every other week water changes.

I’m not really a fan of shutting a skimmer off because of the gas exchange value alone. I don’t really use algae scrubbers, so I don’t know how well they can be “tweaked” effectively

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After struggling to control nutrients for a while, my nutrients have been steadily dropping to the point where I'm thinking I might want to do something about it. I have a 350 gallon system, it's about 9 months old. For nutrient export, I have a skimmer and algae scrubber. I also have a fleece roller. I'm doing 10%/week water changes through daily changes using a dosing pump. My nitrates have been dropping about 2% a week for the last month, phosphates have been dropping also, but not as dramatically.

I'm thinking I either want to do one or more of the following, or a combination, but I'm open to suggestions:
1) Feed more heavily
2) Cut back on water changes
3) Run the skimmer less
4) Run the algae scrubber less.

Thanks.
Adjusting the length of the photoperiod for the ATS is the easiest way to manipulate your nutrients. Make it shorter if you want higher nutrients, or make it longer if you want to lower nutrients. I have used Algae Turf Scrubbers for years and this works perfectly for me.

Top Shelf Aquatics

CrunchyBananas

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjusting the length of the photoperiod for the ATS is the easiest way to manipulate your nutrients. Make it shorter if you want higher nutrients, or make it longer if you want to lower nutrients. I have used Algae Turf Scrubbers for years and this works perfectly for me.
Thanks for the explanation! I’ve always stuck with refugiums on mine and customers tanks. Might have to play around with one.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You partially answered your question.
Algae scrubber removes more phosphates then nitrates, so cutting down photoperiod, will not necessarily have an input on nitrates.
If you have bio- bricks, remove them. You can also remove some rock.You can run skimmer mostly at night only.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
PremiumAquatics.com
Back