Best way to pre filter for a UV Sterilizer closed loop

Bluegrass Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the luxury of having all of my filtration and equipment behind the wall of my aquarium. I'm wanting to put my UV on a dedicated closed loop in order to get the most optimal turnover rate, and it seems that a dedicated closed loop is the best way to accomplish that goal. I can't find much on the internet regarding how to pre filter the water before it enters the UV other than a cannister filter.

Does anyone have another solution? My tank is 110 gal with another 45-50 gallons in sump. I have a 55 watt Lifegard UV Sterilizer that I want to power with an Iwaki in-line pump. Head pressure will be minimal- 1' or less, but any filtration would restrict flow. I'll be placing a flow meter between the filtration and the UV in order to dial it in utilizing a gate valve.

Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifegard used to make an inline pleated cartridge filter that could be used for prefiltering water before a uv.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe have a reactor before hand that only has filter sponges in it.

OP
OP
B

Bluegrass Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your plumbing size you can do a 10" filter house like this;

Amazon Pentair Housing

with like a 100 or 200 micron filter etc
This is the perfect size and option! Thanks for the suggestion.

For anyone else interested, I did find the Lifegard version. My reason for not choosing that version was simply the high price and little to no reviews on the product. Cost was 5x the simpler version I purchased. The only added feature to the Lifegard was a psi gauge so you could tell when it is getting clogged. I found that to be unnecessary as I have a flow meter that will be installed.

lesismore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the perfect size and option! Thanks for the suggestion.

For anyone else interested, I did find the Lifegard version. My reason for not choosing that version was simply the high price and little to no reviews on the product. Cost was 5x the simpler version I purchased. The only added feature to the Lifegard was a psi gauge so you could tell when it is getting clogged. I found that to be unnecessary as I have a flow meter that will be installed.
Excellent! What flow meter are you using if I may ask?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back