Best way to inject kalk paste? Plus effect on tank?

BRS

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I hit some aiptasia and nuisance polys with kalkwasser paste via a needleless syringe. kalk bits floated everywhere (turned off powerheads but forgot the return). My hammers were not happy. Shrunk up and stayed shrunken for 2 days. Figured they palys either released something or the kalk landed on them in chunks. 15% water change and through carbon in there. They seem to be 1/2 open today and looking ok. Nothing else in the tank reacted that way.

Anyway, what do you do when applying kalk paste to kill things? I can't imagine it was enough to change the alk readings in a 90G but I haven't tested yet.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I hit some aiptasia and nuisance polys with kalkwasser paste via a needleless syringe. kalk bits floated everywhere (turned off powerheads but forgot the return). My hammers were not happy. Shrunk up and stayed shrunken for 2 days. Figured they palys either released something or the kalk landed on them in chunks. 15% water change and through carbon in there. They seem to be 1/2 open today and looking ok. Nothing else in the tank reacted that way.

Anyway, what do you do when applying kalk paste to kill things? I can't imagine it was enough to change the alk readings in a 90G but I haven't tested yet.
If you turn off the return too the needless syringe should work. Give like 15-20 minutes to let harden then slowly turn on the pumps again.

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the needle that comes with the kit. Just make sure your kalk is paste. It allows a more direct attack.
And yes make sure all pumps are off.
Dont feel bad as I have done the same once or twice, lol.

Top Shelf Aquatics

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do similar but with caustic soda. I just keep a turkey baster handy to blast any bits that may float around before they land on any coral.

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guess is they got peppered with some of the paste. If you were only nuking a few of them, I can't see a spike in your ph happening. I'm guilty of having done it myself, too; only, my idiot self left the wave pumps on. I like to use a needle though, and inject it right into their filthy little mouths.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tropic Marin USA
Back