Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1-2 inch sandbed in my 240 gal reef tank. Underneath it the entire tank has egg crate. My sandbed stays relatively clean as i siphon it weekly, but I do occasionally get spots of cyano. I’d like to up my flow and grow some corals on the bottom of the tank, so any tips on removing the sandbed? Apart from that, I have no clue what to do with the egg crate as my rock is on it. I guess once the sand is out, I could break of the pieces in the open and then slightly lift the rocks and slide the egg crate out but any suggestions would be helpful.

Avast

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used a 1" hose to siphon the sand out. You will need and equal amount of water to replace. The sand and water will usually be pretty dirty. I think the egg crate will be a bigger problem depending on the rock.

OP
OP
L

lucas-grimm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used a 1" hose to siphon the sand out. You will need and equal amount of water to replace. The sand and water will usually be pretty dirty. I think the egg crate will be a bigger problem depending on the rock.
That’s my plan for the sand. Prob 1-2 months to get it all out as my sand is super clean and constantly cleaned so I’m not worried for an ammonia spike but still going to be careful. As for the egg crate. I think just breaking off exposed pieces and then when I have room carefully sliding it out from the rocks with some help will be fine. I do 30% ish weekly wster changes and will replace the water via those.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back