Best tool to check salinity....

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people use that they trust to check l salinity.

Used to use a refractometer albeit calibrated with rodi water on the zero line.

Bought a hanna salinity tester, calibratedcwith their fluid, granted I haven't been as calibrating as regular as I should but just tested the hanna and it was a smidge under 35ppt, calibrated it, tested the tank again and it was 33ppt, re calibrated it and the same result.

Used my old refractometer calibrated to zero with rodi 4x times and got 1.025.

So would you trust a refractometer calibrated to zero or this seemingly untrustworthy hanna item with proper calibration fluid, sensible answer suggests the hanna as im using the proper fluid but I've seen other people say these hanna things are not great.

Thoughts?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Refractometer. They're reliable enough for loads of people, so they're reliable enough for me. I've read that it's better to use a proper calibration fluid for them, though that stuff's pretty cheap.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer. They're reliable enough for loads of people, so they're reliable enough for me. I've read that it's better to use a proper calibration fluid for them, though that stuff's pretty cheap.
Thanks, I'll get the proper fluid for it just trying to also establish if it's likely accurate enough with rodi as a zero set calibration for today

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, just read the instructions for my refractometer and the manufacturer suggests calibration using rodi water to zero, it's a D-D one by the way, so it seems I was doing right all along for those instrument.

Hanna salinity checker going on facebook

Aaron75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, just read the instructions for my refractometer and the manufacturer suggests calibration using rodi water to zero, it's a D-D one by the way, so it seems I was doing right all along for those instrument.

Hanna salinity checker going on facebook
They likely recommend using rodi water because it's readily available but for the sake of accuracy, you should use calibration fluid.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but if they say it's fine and accurate that's what I'll do

Who is "they'?

The they you refer to are often wrong about calibrating refractometers for some very clear reasons.

A brine refractometer (very often sold to hobbyists for marine use) is not intended for seawater and WILL NECESSARILY give incorrect values using pure fresh water to calibrate it. Calibrating with an accurate 35 ppt seawater standard eliminates the problem.

If it does not say true seawater refractometer, assume it is a brine refractometer.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is "they'?

The they you refer to are often wrong about calibrating refractometers for some very clear reasons.

A brine refractometer (very often sold to hobbyists for marine use) is not intended for seawater and WILL NECESSARILY give incorrect values using pure fresh water to calibrate it. Calibrating with an accurate 35 ppt seawater standard eliminates the problem.
They being the manufacturer, the dd one I have is specifically for seawater they alude to the brine types in the instructions and how the one I have is accurately calibrated to zero with rodi

Aaron75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They being the manufacturer, the dd one I have is specifically for seawater they alude to the brine types in the instructions and how the one I have is accurately calibrated to zero with rodi
Idk, you asked the "best tool" to check salinity and you've been told by 2 people including a well known legitimate chemist to use calibration fluid. You do you I guess.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Bought a hanna salinity tester, calibratedcwith their fluid, granted I haven't been as calibrating as regular as I should but just tested the hanna and it was a smidge under 35ppt, calibrated it, tested the tank again and it was 33ppt, re calibrated it and the same result.

So would you trust a refractometer calibrated to zero or this seemingly untrustworthy hanna item with proper calibration fluid, sensible answer suggests the hanna as im using the proper fluid but I've seen other people say these hanna things are not great.

Thoughts?
Everyone will have a favorite. Tested and most accurate is Tropic Marin glass unit. Mine is Hanna salinity tester verified with Hanna marine monitor. Many favor hydrometer and so forth

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk, you asked the "best tool" to check salinity and you've been told by 2 people including a well known legitimate chemist to use calibration fluid. You do you I guess.
And the well known chemistry who I trust has suggested most hobbiest refractometers are brine types, ive just replied saying it's a proper sea water one that they suggest using rodi to calibrate to zero, so if you have nothing further to add.....
Screenshot_20240722_163538_Samsung Notes.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thoughts?
You should usually calibrate an instrument to the level near the level you are going to be measuring. I.e. you would want to use calibration solution to 35 ppm to calibrate the refractometer. I have no comments on the hanna tester - but the only way to tell whether the 25 is correct or the 33/35 would be to perhaps bring a water sample in to an LFS, etc or do another test.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used two refractometers and two Ganna checkers. To me the most reliable is a Vee Gee Refractometer. It is the top of the line refractometer. Much better than the $20 one I started the hobby with initially. Hanna checker is also pretty decent but I do not trust it as much as the Vee Gee.

SliceGolfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back