Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to grow mine under whites or grow lights (blue/red)
I did test phosphates and they were 0 so maybe it’s just a low nutrient system - getting enough algae in the display though... might need to feed more

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to grow mine under whites or grow lights (blue/red)
I did test phosphates and they were 0 so maybe it’s just a low nutrient system - getting enough algae in the display though... might need to feed more
i can’t seem to be able to grow mine under pure white either, although i will say it’s been a real good place for pods to reproduce.

CLICK TO VIEW

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best is a tough term. A couple led warm white spot bulbs from Home Depot for $20 total might be the best when comes to cost effectiveness.

However if nutrients are not limiting the most effective light is going to be the strongest, while spectrum matters the PAR and PUR are going to be king and if using similar technology like led, that lights wattage is going to be a big factor in that power. For example a 10w red led light isn’t going to be as effective as a 50w led light even if it’s white since you are putting out 5x the power.

How you grow it is also important. Is your area deep to grow a big ball or more like a Shallow rectangle and you will spread it out more? Something like a kessil h380 has very narrow optics so it can penetrate a deep ball of chaeto with something like 1500 par, but the spread is small. It is a 100w light and if you have a shallower rectangle shape fuge then a 100w panel light will grow that area better but it can’t penetrate as deeply. The same can go for mounting height as that intense kessil can burn chaeto if too close - so the best varied a lot depending on setup.

Realistically though chaeto works so well, if you are not nutrient or element limited (like iron) the lighting doesn’t really matter that much keeping in mind the export needs of the tank. A 50g low bioload tank might be fine witha HD spot, but if you have 250g heavy stock a 100w h380 is going to be better since you have to scale up the export. I myself like about 0.5w led fuge light per gallon - aka h380 ~ 200g decent stocked tank. But I am sure others vary in preferences a lot.

Even a weak light of any common spectrum you see from white to red can keep chaeto healthy, it just wont grow as fast with a weak light. If one has chaeto falling apart or dying (unless it’s a huge ball and shaded), it’s missing something in the water: phosphate, nitrate, iron or other elements, it’s almost never the light that is to blame.

Last edited:

drmdvl

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Amazon Lominie LED, the cheap $50 version and get insane chaeto growth in my fairly heavily stocked FO 125g even with GFO running. 100% power for about 8hrs per night placed ~6" over water level in fuge. Phos 0.02, Nitrate 2-3ppm. I feed LRS twice daily heavy and there is no coral and little to no pest algae in the DT to compete. I started with the algae barn tennis ball size and fill a 6x7x16 fuge chamber every month. Very happy with it's export capability!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best is a tough term. A couple led warm white spot bulbs from Home Depot for $20 total might be the best when comes to cost effectiveness.

However if nutrients are not limiting the most effective light is going to be the strongest, while spectrum matters the PAR and PUR are going to be king and if using similar technology like led, that lights wattage is going to be a big factor in that power. For example a 10w red led light isn’t going to be as effective as a 50w led light even if it’s white since you are putting out 5x the power.

How you grow it is also important. Is your area deep to grow a big ball or more like a Shallow rectangle and you will spread it out more? Something like a kessil h380 has very narrow optics so it can penetrate a deep ball of chaeto with something like 1500 par, but the spread is small. It is a 100w light and if you have a shallower rectangle shape fuge then a 100w panel light will grow that area better but it can’t penetrate as deeply. The same can go for mounting height as that intense kessil can burn chaeto if too close - so the best varied a lot depending on setup.

Realistically though chaeto works so well, if you are not nutrient or element limited (like iron) the lighting doesn’t really matter that much keeping in mind the export needs of the tank. A 50g low bioload tank might be fine witha HD spot, but if you have 250g heavy stock a 100w h380 is going to be better since you have to scale up the export. I myself like about 0.5w led fuge light per gallon - aka h380 ~ 200g decent stocked tank. But I am sure others vary in preferences a lot.

Even a weak light of any common spectrum you see from white to red can keep chaeto healthy, it just wont grow as fast with a weak light. If one has chaeto falling apart or dying (unless it’s a huge ball and shaded), it’s missing something in the water: phosphate, nitrate, iron or other elements, it’s almost never the light that is to blame.
thanks for your input!

Amado

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the light I am using.
It grows cheato with no problem.
It water proof and it $30

Waterproof 100W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum, New Technology COB LED Grow Light, Natural Heat Dissipation Without Noise, Suitable for Plants All Growing Stage Indoor or Outdoor.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the light I am using.
It grows cheato with no problem.
It water proof and it $30

Waterproof 100W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum, New Technology COB LED Grow Light, Natural Heat Dissipation Without Noise, Suitable for Plants All Growing Stage Indoor or Outdoor.
i think this is the one! thanks man!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Benji240287

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good results with the kessil H80 fuge light. I didnt have great results with the zetlight E100. I am trying out the innovative marine 2 in 1 18watt and the tunze ecochic fuge light soon.
Hi Anthony !
What is your opinion about the tunze ecochic refugium in comparison with the kessil in term of growth and other?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished setting up a hang off refugium, and a new light over another area. Both areas have cheato in them. Both lights are white different wattages, and if I want can measure lux, and or par. this will be interesting for me

Anthony Scholfield

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Anthony !
What is your opinion about the tunze ecochic refugium in comparison with the kessil in term of growth and other?
Hey Benji,

I believe the tunze ecochic grows chaeto as well as the kessil. I used them both on different systems during the same time period and found the chaeto to grow well in both systems with both lights.

The tunze is submersible which can give you different options on how you light your refugium. The tunze mounts with a magnet bracket type system. Which could be limiting depending on how big your fuge is and how it’s set up. The kessil either hangs or uses the gooseneck so can require a bit more room over head.

The kessil has adjustments in color and intensity which the tunze does not but I find once I set the kessil I do not adjust it after, so those adjustments aren’t a big deal at the end of the day for chaeto.

I wouldn’t have a problem using either one to grow chaeto. They are both good lights. It depends on your budget, space and setup as which one will be the best for you. Hope this helps :)

Freenow54

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Benji,

I believe the tunze ecochic grows chaeto as well as the kessil. I used them both on different systems during the same time period and found the chaeto to grow well in both systems with both lights.

The tunze is submersible which can give you different options on how you light your refugium. The tunze mounts with a magnet bracket type system. Which could be limiting depending on how big your fuge is and how it’s set up. The kessil either hangs or uses the gooseneck so can require a bit more room over head.

The kessil has adjustments in color and intensity which the tunze does not but I find once I set the kessil I do not adjust it after, so those adjustments aren’t a big deal at the end of the day for chaeto.

I wouldn’t have a problem using either one to grow chaeto. They are both good lights. It depends on your budget, space and setup as which one will be the best for you. Hope this helps :)
Be advised though it seems all lights with mounting brackets are made for rimless tanks. I have had to make my own on every mountable light I bought

Anthony Scholfield

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be advised though it seems all lights with mounting brackets are made for rimless tanks. I have had to make my own on every mountable light I bought
Researching mounting options on fuge lights for your setup is a good thing. Some lights are less accommodating for rimmed tanks than others. To say “all lights” is a very broad statement. It may be more helpful to share the refugium lights you’ve used and your experience with them.

I have not had problems using either of these lights I mentioned above on sumps with rims. All of my sumps have rims on them.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back