Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as the title states, what do you guys think is the best glass cleaning magnet currently on the market. If you can submit your vote and discuss briefly why you think it is the best that would be awesome.

Also if you can mention about what magnets you have used in making your ultimate decision on the "Best Glass Cleaning Magnet".

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote goes to the "Algae Free Plus" magnets. I have used every single magnet listed above and by far the Algae Free magnets are the best in my opinion. The magnets are extremely strong and cleans my glass really well.

Flipper magnets are good for cleaning my acrylic frag tank, but the flipping action can be a bit finicky. Mag-Floats are good as well, just not as good as the Algae-Free magnets to me. Tunze and Vertex magnets are a waste of $$ if you ask me (more form than function).

Asonitez

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae free pirhana is what I use.

Mine is about 5/6 years old. Replaced the wet side twice for free.

First time magnet swole this was because I believe I punctured the wet side by mistake. Second time I let the wet side dry out and tried to soak and sand off the coralline algae and I think I might have went too deep. Both my fault. Both times was sent a few wetside free of charge by algaefree.

Strong beautiful and works well.

Runner up is a magfloat. 12 years old still going strong. Powerful versatile makes a good fragrack in a pinch.

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best .... who knows. When I moved up to a 1" thick acrylic tank, about the only option for me was Mighty Magnets. So they're 'best' for me ...... expensive too! I only ever used magfloats before, and the MM is certainly a step up in all regards. If I did not have thick walls, however, I would not have paid the premium.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best .... who knows. When I moved up to a 1" thick acrylic tank, about the only option for me was Mighty Magnets. So they're 'best' for me ...... expensive too! I only ever used magfloats before, and the MM is certainly a step up in all regards. If I did not have thick walls, however, I would not have paid the premium.

Added Mighty Magnet as an option.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flipper that is rusting

Reach out to them and get it replaced. I wouldn't use it anymore if the wetside is in fact rusting on you. Could lead to more issues than you want in your tank.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reach out to them and get it replaced. I wouldn't use it anymore if the wetside is in fact rusting on you. Could lead to more issues than you want in your tank.

Less than 3 weeks old. I don’t want another it’s junk

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than 3 weeks old. I don’t want another it’s junk

LOL, that's sad when you get something and are just like, whatever and just chalk that up to one of those "I wish I didn't buy purchases". I'd at least return it for a refund and put the money towards a better magnet.

I also bought into the hype about it (only because I need something for my acrylic tank) but not too thrilled about it myself. I will be replacing it with a Hammerhead Float Plus soon.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd used Magfloats since they were the latest thing... pretty much automatic, I bought a new tank, needed a new mag-float.

A couple years back, I bought a 'flipper'. Loved it. Wrote a fairly lengthy review, very positive. After using it for 6 months, I noted that I'd badly damaged the silicone in my tank. Too strong, too sharp, just too much.

Won a Tunze Long at a fragfest a year or so back. I wouldn't likely have bought one... too expensive. But... since it was free... After using it for a while, I'll probably never have anything else. With my new tank, I bought a Strong, since it's 3/4" glass. Still love it. Aggressive enough, strong enough, easy to navigate in tight areas, easy to keep clean... works great, no damage to my silicone, just exactly right.

I still have a mag-float in my sump. No sand in there, just want to be able to clean the front of the refugeum once in a while. Gave the Flipper to a friend, with a word of caution about damaging silicone.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. Just purchased the flipper last week, hope I have better results than above as it was very pricey..[emoji848]
Just be careful around silicone seals. It'll chew 'em up quickly.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flipper itself? Or the blade? The blade is interchangeable.....
I was using the stainless blade. I don't care for the scrubbing pad side, as I've scratched the heck out of tanks using them in the past. The plastic one is intended for acrylic tanks, right? The stainless blade will happily peal away silicone seals. The Tunze also has an interchangeable blade, and I use the stainless blade in it. I suppose you could do the same with the Tunze, but it has a purposefully curved edge profile, intended to keep the blade from ever making contact with your silicone. It works :)

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the stainless blade. I don't care for the scrubbing pad side, as I've scratched the heck out of tanks using them in the past. The plastic one is intended for acrylic tanks, right? The stainless blade will happily peal away silicone seals. The Tunze also has an interchangeable blade, and I use the stainless blade in it. I suppose you could do the same with the Tunze, but it has a purposefully curved edge profile, intended to keep the blade from ever making contact with your silicone. It works :)
I have not had an issue with the scrubbing pad side.... but I make sure there's no sand attached to it also...I flip it in the top part of tank to be sure.

AKReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze and 2 Algae Free's. The Tunze is a handy little scraper for my small tank. I've had it for almost 2 years and it can be annoying as the magnet seems to have lost some strength and I have to go reaching in the tank when it comes off. I have a Great White and the magnet strength is amazing, actually too strong for my needs. Also the wet side doesn't float, which is a negative. I also I have the Tiger Shark which I think is the best of the bunch. Magnet is nice and strong and wet side floats, making it easy to go around the corners to switch panes of glass.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Magfloat with blade the past two years and have been happy with it for the most part. The blades can be damaged fairly easy but overall, it has worked great for me. It cleans the algae, it floats, not sure what else I'd need in a magnetic cleaner.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thought my Flipper Max was the bomb until I acquired the Tunze Strong. What a fast effective device. Magnets very good !!

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

GHL Advanced Technology
Back