Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a really good algae eater for the rocks. I've heard kole tang, orange shoulder tang, or flamefin tomini tang. Not sure there's a great one that's not a tang?

Thing is, we have a scopas, foxface, and hippo already... all fairly small, foxface is the largest. I know the kole and tomini are smaller (of the 3), but I know there's also always caution with adding tangs and I don't want anyone to have issue.

We got a lawnmower blenny with the LFS Black Friday, but after two days I never saw him again... I heard they can be jumpers but we do have a lid so I'm not sure what happened. I've spied into rocks and around corners, not sure I have much hope left at this point.

I understand I could get emerald crabs, but not sure they'd be enough? I have a ruby but he has eaten a few corals and made me VERY cautious about crabs...

So long story short, any recommendations for good algae eaters? And possibly preferred online sources?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice!! Always greatly appreciated!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try another lawnmower, they are pretty good algae eaters along with the tangs you already have, you shouldnt add any more tangs to a tank this size and I honestly feel hippos and foxface should be in tanks larger that 48" but that is when they are a bit larger. Small ones are fine in smaller tanks.
Tomini and kole are better algae eating tangs in general though.
I ended up losing my lawnmower after a few years because it swam into a power after a power outage and got stuck in it when it turned back on :(. He was a funny little guy always eating algae and you could always see his bite marks on glass from picking algae.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
NewReefAdventure

NewReefAdventure

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try another lawnmower, they are pretty good algae eaters along with the tangs you already have, you shouldnt add any more tangs to a tank this size and I honestly feel hippos and foxface should be in tanks larger that 48" but that is when they are a bit larger. Small ones are fine in smaller tanks.
Tomini and kole are better algae eating tangs in general though.
I ended up losing my lawnmower after a few years because it swam into a power after a power outage and got stuck in it when it turned back on :(. He was a funny little guy always eating algae and you could always see his bite marks on glass from picking algae.
Thanks for the advice - the display is 59" long, but I have debated their size a bit. We have a larger acrylic that may be set up as well in the future... I have a hard time thinking of the lawnmower since he vanished so quickly. But sounds like could be a fun fish.
Sorry to hear about yours

Upvote 0
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back