Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are ball valves and tru-union ball valves.

Normally I'm a huge fan of the Cepex tru-union ball valves, great product at a great price. Significantly cheaper than Spears.

1682454352508.png

However most modern pumps come with a quick disconnect so the tru-union on the Cepex becomes redundant. In this instance I want to use a std ball valve however the ones available at our local box box stores bind up over time. see example below.

1682454729877.png

Anyone have a suggestion for a simple ball valve of high quality?

Thanks

David

Top Shelf Aquatics

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with at least single union valves (spears, cepex, etc.) at the minimum - the compact style is prone to sticking over time and can't be easily cleaned or fixed.

CLICK TO VIEW

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to apply some silicone grease to the seats of the standard ball valve and exercise it several times to work it in. It does help initially but how long it lasts is questionable. I have not had them in long enough to make a judgement.

Avast

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with the proven cepex.
I've gone from store to store trying different brands of ( standard ) ball valves and picked out the easiest turning ones I can find, but eventually they all have proven not a good choice. Some seem to get frozen in place, others don't completely close.
But I do have 10 year old cepex true union ball valves that still work.

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a heavy user of CLs back in the day, all of these will leak and drip over time - not externally (although that does happen) but through the valve in the pipe. They are fine for replacing a pump within a few minutes or an hour, but if you are wanting to close them for a week or two, then you might need a bucket that you empty daily. Most of these are not saltwater friendly for long.

You can also work them open and closed every week, or so, to keep them from seizing up.

The best thing is to have a identical spare backup pump on hand to do the plumb job quickly... and not use a pump known to leak like a ReeFlow, or whatever.

I got to where I kept the intake and output in the top third of the tank so that if you need to do major surgery, you only have to remove 1/3 of the water to get it below the intake and output lines.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock on wood I have a 10+ year 24/7 old ReeFlo dart that has original seals...

I would keep spare valves on hand. Use threaded bulkheads so a temp plug can be placed of the valve body needs to be repaired or replaced.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back