Best affordable LED fixture for 40B

Sphyrna_gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Feeling a bit overwhelmed with all these light fixture options..I'm researching to upgrade my lighting fixture from my CURRENT (36" current Orbit Marine IC LED) as after I got a PAR reader the highest I have in my tank is still under 100 and the fixture sits right on the tank so it's not like I can move it closer. I've searched the forum it seems other reefers have 40B so maybe this thread will be helpful for them too. (Hi fellow 40s, btw!)

Looked into some of the LED fixtures other hobbyists have mentioned on here and it seems they are about $700-$1000. Sure, they look NICE but is there a medium range, haha! Thinking $300/$350 range is more my budget but willing to stretch it if its a more long term fixture that will mean better conditions for my coral. Already have about $300 in the light system I got that came with all the good reviews..*UGH* I do love it controls powerheads too- having everything on one remote is nice but obviously it isn't enough. If I can't find something else maybe I will just get another one of the fixture type I have and upgrade to the NICE NICE later?

I can't do a ceiling mounted option where my tank is.
I would also love if anyone knew of a fixture that could be added onto later if I do upgrade my tank to a 48"+ tank later.

Current have:
Acans, Hammers, Zoas, xenia, GSP, Monti caps.

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Feeling a bit overwhelmed with all these light fixture options..I'm researching to upgrade my lighting fixture from my CURRENT (36" current Orbit Marine IC LED) as after I got a PAR reader the highest I have in my tank is still under 100 and the fixture sits right on the tank so it's not like I can move it closer. I've searched the forum it seems other reefers have 40B so maybe this thread will be helpful for them too. (Hi fellow 40s, btw!)

Looked into some of the LED fixtures other hobbyists have mentioned on here and it seems they are about $700-$1000. Sure, they look NICE but is there a medium range, haha! Thinking $300/$350 range is more my budget but willing to stretch it if its a more long term fixture that will mean better conditions for my coral. Already have about $300 in the light system I got that came with all the good reviews..*UGH* I do love it controls powerheads too- having everything on one remote is nice but obviously it isn't enough. If I can't find something else maybe I will just get another one of the fixture type I have and upgrade to the NICE NICE later?

I would also love if anyone knew of a fixture that could be added onto later if I do upgrade my tank to a 48"+ tank later.

Current have:
I run 3x Noopsyche K7 Minis. At ~$80 a pop, very budget friendly. At ~50% you'll hit 300 PAR on your rocks and 100-150 on the sand bed.
PXL_20240912_192400020.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current have:
How much control do you want?
There are "cheap" light bars w/ zero or limited control then there are full control (def of "full" varies) types.
A 35" Helix bar is $195-ish and 60 watts..
Really couldn't probably get away w/ less than 2 bars ... soo $400-ish
Manual dimming included.. 0-10v w/ optional controller.

2-3 Nicrew 50's plus controller is about $300 total.
There are asst "like" lights in the same range.

Both have tank mounts but you need to verify if they fit your tank rim.
Well I've cut rims to have lights fit though. Look it up though.

As to your livestock list and the above lights suitability, I'll leave that to others.

Adding another bar of the same does come close to doubling your PAR (just physics)That option is only $144
This light fixture is an accessory LED light for existing Orbit IC LED systems with a LOOP® controller. It cannot be used as a stand-alone light fixture and must be connected to an Orbit IC light manifold HUB with a LOOP® controller.
IC not IC pro..
Manuf lists 50 par @ 18" in water.. So 2 would double that approx..
36-48" 36 watts each. At $4/watt not the best deal. 1/2 watt emitters.

Diode nm..
Dual Actinic LEDs
445nm/460nm Blue
Dual Daylight LEDs
6700K/10000K White

Any multiple puck styles should be "transferable with additions to a longer tank or you could over buy (this gets tricky as to what is "over buy") wattage.
Say 2 150W Nicrews. At $440-ish total not the worst idea.

Of course it gets even trickier if you change from moderate to high light demand organisms in the future.

Or the how long you wait syndrome where your old lights are no longer made or have dimmed or have been upgraded so now they don't exactly match issue.

There are plenty of reviews on all the more common lights here and at other forums.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Quanta Helix dimmable led strip lights look amazing. Using quad core diodes instead of single diodes. So the "royal" leds have 3 royal blues and 1 regular blue I believe and the "violet" diodes have 2 different spectrums and them the whites I believe are single diode.

Under $600 for 3 bars,and tank mounts.

BetteMidler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noo-Psyche K7 Pro. I would go for Two over a 40B & add a 3rd when you go to 48". Both lights with tank mounting arms & a single controller should be under $450.

If you want something to beat that Current branded light for cheap, get two K7 minis. That would be under $200. If you need a third, it would only be $100 more. Still in your budget of $300.

The Pros are more ideal for a 48" tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back