+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!

In your opinion, what are some of the quietest (and hopefully reliable) AC return pumps? I know DC pumps are quieter but I've heard that they don't last as long except for Abyzz and Red Dragon, which I can't afford right now.

Thanks in advance!

Trickman2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!

In your opinion, what are some of the quietest (and hopefully reliable) AC return pumps? I know DC pumps are quieter but I've heard that they don't last as long except for Abyzz and Red Dragon, which I can't afford right now.

Thanks in advance!
We need more information...How big of a tank? How much water you looking to move? What is your budget? Internal? External? Pressure pump? How much head pressure? I need more information to give you a good recommendation.

Trickman2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silent and a long lasting pump....You are going to run into issues with amount of water flow. Your AC pump isn't going to push a lot of flow and be silent.

1262 Universal Pump (900 GPH) - Eheim​

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need more information...How big of a tank? How much water you looking to move? What is your budget? Internal? External? Pressure pump? How much head pressure? I need more information to give you a good recommendation.
I was thinking in terms of general recommendations regardless of aquarium size - I originally intended to upgrade to a 50g with a 20g sump but I may end up getting something a bit smaller. 5x flow. But yes, I should've mentioned internal. As for budget, something under $200 ideally but I'd rather pay a bit extra for something more long-lasting.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silent and a long lasting pump....You are going to run into issues with amount of water flow. Your AC pump isn't going to push a lot of flow and be silent.

1262 Universal Pump (900 GPH) - Eheim​

Yes I know AC pumps aren't usually known for being quiet but I'm concerned about the longevity of the DC ones. I might go that route if I find no other options but wanted to explore AC pumps first.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Varios pump going on 3 years without maintenance for me. Id also look into the jebao dcp pumps. Seems like they're also getting several years at least. Can't beat that for the price.

If you do want a true AC pump that's a pure workhorse and mostly indestructible I feel like its the old danner magdrive pumps.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!

Thanks in advance!
sicce syncra silent is only AC pumps I use. They aren't super quiet at first, but after a month or two break-in they are super quiet.

Nutramar Foods

Breadman03

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3x Sicce ADV 10.0's and all are great. One is for my return, another for my skimmer, and the third is a spare used for mixing salt. I'd look into an appropriately sized Sicce before making a final decision.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce AC pumps are about as good as it gets, with that said my simplicity 1000 (which is a DC) only hums on start up and is otherwise silent. You can add a “silencer mat” underneath to try and further dampen any sound/vibrations.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Duncan62

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!

Thanks in advance!
I have 4 orlushy 24 volt DC pumps. Oldest has been running for almost 5 years 24 hrs a day. They are completely silent. I'd look at them. Also very affordable and come with a controller. Good luck with your new tank.

Nutramar Foods

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What DC pumps would you consider on par? And is there a particular line of Sicce you'd recommend?
I'm a cheap bastid, so I use jebao dcs & dct pumps. No failures in over 5 years on two 100+ gallon systems.

If its a AC sicce pump I'm big on the syncra series.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a cheap bastid, so I use jebao dcs & dct pumps. No failures in over 5 years on two 100+ gallon systems.

If its a AC sicce pump I'm big on the syncra series.
That's pretty impressive. You probably maintain them regularly? Because I've read a lot about DC pumps failing after just a year.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Looks like Sicce got the majority vote for the ACs so I'll definitely look into those.

I've considered Jebao as well. Good to hear some of you have had them running for years but I've heard that others have not been as lucky. Sounds like they're hit or miss. Or is that mostly for earlier generations?

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty impressive. You probably maintain them regularly? Because I've read a lot about DC pumps failing after just a year.
Frankly nope. Maybe once a year to clean the impeller. One is on constantly and the other stops 3x a day for feedings.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back