+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering how many people have used
Berghia Nudibranchs for an infestation of Aiptasia? I have always used Red Sea Aiptasia-X in the past to treat them as they spring up here and there. However, in the past 2 months or so they have gotten so out of hand all of a sudden. In my nano cube I must have at least 100 or more. I picked up a few (3) Nudibranchs from my LFS about 3 weeks ago. They have taken care of a small area of rock but that is all.

I found a site that has tons of information and sells nothing other than a few sizes. I was going to get 10-15 of the 1/2” breading size.

But before I do I wanted to know if anyone had success treating Aiptasia this way? And if so how many they used?

Top Shelf Aquatics

kirbuno

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them in my last tank and about to try it again with this one. Don't know how some manage to have aptasia free tanks. I gave only had this one up for 10 months and have been using aptasia x on the one or two that I seen. Now I have hundreds of babies. Swear that aptasia x propagates them.
My experiences with nudibranches has been varied. The first time I used them they did well and they wiped out the aptasia population then must have starved. I stopped seeing them. I then started getting them again a few months later. This time I ordered the smaller 1/4" size to save money. I didn't have as good of luck and they seemed to disappear fairly quickly. Not sure why as the ones that survived did grow pretty fast, but I only seen a couple that made it to become adults then nothing, and the aptasia population hardly took a hit.
Because ampipods eat the bergia eggs I wouldn't count on them multiplying in your tank. Get as many as you can afford, for your tank size I would say one to two dozen. The problem is with only a few bergia, they take a long time to eat the aptasia. So in the mean time the aptasia keep multiplying. With a bunch of bergia they can wipe out the population much quicker. Then you could thin out the herd by selling a few keeping several to finish the job on aptasia you don't see.
Good luck, I hate aptasia. Tried file fish, and shrimp but didn't have good luck with either of them. There's got to be a better way to get rid of them.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tank Stop
Back