+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since i lost my coral beauty been on thr hunt for a “reef safe” angelfish

Have been on the hunt for a bellus and seems elusive-is this just a hard fish to find.

was recomended to stay away from the japanese angelfish as they are easily susceptible to swim bladder i was told

any feedback or what you think i should just bite the bullet on a any buy is appreciated

World Wide Corals

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since i lost my coral beauty been on thr hunt for a “reef safe” angelfish

Have been on the hunt for a bellus and seems elusive-is this just a hard fish to find.

was recomended to stay away from the japanese angelfish as they are easily susceptible to swim bladder i was told

any feedback or what you think i should just bite the bullet on a any buy is appreciated

All of the Genicanthus angelfish are prone to swimbladder overinflation. Getting one in good shape is the key. I would suggest trying a pre-quarantined one. That way, any handling stress would be on the company quarantining the fish, not on you.

IMO - Bellus are kind of delicate compared to Watanabei. Melanospilus do pretty well I think. Lamarks are hit or miss, depending on how they were collected and handled.

If you haven't seen them, there are three articles in the library here that discusses this group. Here is part one:

Jay

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a male and female pair of Bellus Angelfish. Both are healthy and fat. The female I got locally and quarantined myself and the male I got pre-quarantined from Dr Reef. The male had some issues being introduced Into the tank community. He is as big as my PB and Purple Tangs, so he had to learn his place. Both Angelfish are strong algae eaters and act just like the tangs in grazing and going after the algae clips. Male has a few marks on him because he chases the female and she can get into smaller areas so he gets banged up trying to get through those small cracks between the rocks. She chases him as well. They are both solid good fish in my tank.

1684840725300.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jubei2006

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend getting them quarantined as well. As Jay Hemdal stated they are prone to swim bladder disease, and getting them pre quarantined is key. I have 2 females and a male harem, and once they are eating and over the "danger zone" of swim bladder disease, they have been pretty solid fish. I noticed personally, if they get through the first one to two months (when most swim bladder problems are going to occur) they do quite well in the reef environment.

Jubei2006

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a male and female pair of Bellus Angelfish. Both are healthy and fat. The female I got locally and quarantined myself and the male I got pre-quarantined from Dr Reef. The male had some issues being introduced Into the tank community. He is as big as my PB and Purple Tangs, so he had to learn his place. Both Angelfish are strong algae eaters and act just like the tangs in grazing and going after the algae clips. Male has a few marks on him because he chases the female and she can get into smaller areas so he gets banged up trying to get through those small cracks between the rocks. She chases him as well. They are both solid good fish in my tank.

View attachment 3165658
That's a pretty pair you have!!

Wen

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a bellus 4 yrs now.
First one was DOA from LA, second one died a week after arrival and the third one it the current.
She was looking quite spectacular with streamers and deep coloration. 2 months ago she began turning male, which is a real bummer. I've added no other fish so idk why the transition.
All that said, mine is an open water swimmer, eats everything and uses every inch of my 280gal tank.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back