+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Im still a beginner in this hobby. I have a few questions in regards to T5 lighting.
I don't really understand it. Does any T5 tube work? Does it require any special colour (if so, what colours?)? Does it have a cheaper upfront cost than LEDs?
Im still a student so money is quite and important thing and Im on a tight budget. Im planning on building/upgrading my tank into a long shallow tank, which requires multiple LED lights to light up properly. It has come to my realization that T5s can light up a long aquarium easily.
The thing that I dont know about T5s is, can I just slap on some blue and white no brand T5s onto a reflector ontop of an aquarium? From where I live, any branded T5s (ATI etc) are hard to find and also anything that has a reef/aquarium label on it is noticeably more expensive. Are there any no name cheap brands that are reliable?

Id like to ask the lighting gurus regarding this topic. Please try and explain to me in the most beginner friendly way. I am really unsure of how lighting really works for a Reef aquarium. Im planning to make a mixed sps lps tank.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to keep coral, you will do best with specific lighting. Here's just one of many lighting guides you can find on the web. BRS also has some great videos.

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people have LED’s. Unless you have a specific goal (reduce shadowing, even par etc) I’d go with LED.

T5 requires bulb replacements and produces more heat than LED. This is coming from a 100% T5 user.

AS

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people have LED’s. Unless you have a specific goal (reduce shadowing, even par etc) I’d go with LED.

T5 requires bulb replacements and produces more heat than LED. This is coming from a 100% T5 user.
And "off brand" (aka black box) LED lights like Viparspector are relatively inexpensive.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So what youre trying to say is, it would be better for a beginner like me to use LEDs?
What type of T5 do you use? Does it have an expensive upfront cost?
The main reason I wanted to opt for a T5 is because Im planning for a 3 feet tank, which usually requires 2 LED fixtures (quite out of budget to buy 2 at the same time).

ying yang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me try help you and get some advice from @jda ,to see if can save you some money.
Was a long time ago,like just after first joined this forum,jda said about using a brand of t5 tubes that didn't cost that much.

Now maybe I'm wrong of it being jda,so if I am,I apologise to both of you ^_^
But saying that bulbs I think was like £ 6 rather than £25-£40 so some saving ,when comes to changing them out once every 12-18 months I believe most change out.

Either way I wish you best of luck

bruno3047

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, you should understand why they are called T5 bulbs. Fluorescent bulbs are measured in increments of 1/8 of an inch. A T5 bulb means that the bulb has a diameter of 5/8 of an inch. A T8 bulb has a diameter of 8 8ths of an inch or 1 inch, and so on. They are not interchangeable. T5 bulbs come in two strengths. A standard output bulb, and a high output (HO) bulb. These are also not interchangeable. Most fixtures today use high output bulbs and ballasts. I started out with a cheap Chinese made T5 fixture. This is the current model of the fixture I bought. This is a 4-bulb fixture that comes complete with 2-10K bulbs and 2-460nm blue actinic bulbs. An excellent, low-cost way to get started. The 36 inch model for this 4-bulb fixture is $89.95, complete. If you want to augment this fixture with some LED strips, you can just attach the strips to this fixture on each side. It’s a US-based company, so I don’t know if they ship to Malaysia, but the brand Odyssea is a Chinese company. Also, this particular product comes with a US plug. So you may want to do a Google search for a local retailer if you’re interested in this brand fixture. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to keep coral, you will do best with specific lighting. Here's just one of many lighting guides you can find on the web. BRS also has some great videos.
What is "specific" lighting? I havent opened the link yet Ill have a read of it soon

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me try help you and get some advice from @jda ,to see if can save you some money.
Was a long time ago,like just after first joined this forum,jda said about using a brand of t5 tubes that didn't cost that much.

Now maybe I'm wrong of it being jda,so if I am,I apologise to both of you ^_^
But saying that bulbs I think was like £ 6 rather than £25-£40 so some saving ,when comes to changing them out once every 12-18 months I believe most change out.

Either way I wish you best of luck
thanks! I’ll be waiting for his response(if it is him).

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, you should understand why they are called T5 bulbs. Fluorescent bulbs are measured in increments of 1/8 of an inch. A T5 bulb means that the bulb has a diameter of 5/8 of an inch. A T8 bulb has a diameter of 8 8ths of an inch or 1 inch, and so on. They are not interchangeable. T5 bulbs come in two strengths. A standard output bulb, and a high output (HO) bulb. These are also not interchangeable. Most fixtures today use high output bulbs and ballasts. I started out with a cheap Chinese made T5 fixture. This is the current model of the fixture I bought. This is a 4-bulb fixture that comes complete with 2-10K bulbs and 2-460nm blue actinic bulbs. An excellent, low-cost way to get started. The 36 inch model for this 4-bulb fixture is $89.95, complete. If you want to augment this fixture with some LED strips, you can just attach the strips to this fixture on each side. It’s a US-based company, so I don’t know if they ship to Malaysia, but the brand Odyssea is a Chinese company. Also, this particular product comes with a US plug. So you may want to do a Google search for a local retailer if you’re interested in this brand fixture. Good luck.

I see. What are the differences that the HO and non HO bulbs do? Does it have to be HO or something? Also, I’m not really good at it’s terminology, what’s a ballast? Also what equipment shall I need if I were to buy one from scratch?(not fully kitted with the light reflector/holder or something like that) and also, if I were to build a 36 inch tank, should I buy a 36 inch bulb to run across the whole tank or would a shorter bulb will do enough?
I can’t seem to find the brand that you posted in my area or any that ships to Malaysia, even if it does, it would be quite the price for shipping.
One more thing. About the colours - are actinic compulsory? If it has 4 actinic bulbs doesn’t it mean the whole tank is going to be really dark blue only?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals may not be colorful without coral bulbs like blue ones. You can grow coral with 6500k but the coral may look brown.

Upfront cost is lower but it doesn’t sound like you can get any aquarium bulbs?

Usually people mix different types of bulbs. A whiter one with a blue and such.

SilvermistInc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals may not be colorful without coral bulbs like blue ones. You can grow coral with 6500k but the coral may look brown.

Upfront cost is lower but it doesn’t sound like you can get any aquarium bulbs?

Usually people mix different types of bulbs. A whiter one with a blue and such.
10k and 14k bulbs could be an option for them.

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 use different color bulbs to acheive the color you visually like when growing corals.
Light should be the same length as your tank, 36" lights for a 36" tank.

Their are quite a few good low cost leds that would be a better choice. I cant name them all but you can spend $100-$1000 depending on budget.

Best advice is to plan/decide what type of a system you want and match your lighting accordingly.

Top Shelf Aquatics

oreo54

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Im still a beginner in this hobby. I have a few questions in regards to T5 lighting.
I don't really understand it. Does any T5 tube work? Does it require any special colour (if so, what colours?)? Does it have a cheaper upfront cost than LEDs?
Im still a student so money is quite and important thing and Im on a tight budget. Im planning on building/upgrading my tank into a long shallow tank, which requires multiple LED lights to light up properly. It has come to my realization that T5s can light up a long aquarium easily.
The thing that I dont know about T5s is, can I just slap on some blue and white no brand T5s onto a reflector ontop of an aquarium? From where I live, any branded T5s (ATI etc) are hard to find and also anything that has a reef/aquarium label on it is noticeably more expensive. Are there any no name cheap brands that are reliable?

Id like to ask the lighting gurus regarding this topic. Please try and explain to me in the most beginner friendly way. I am really unsure of how lighting really works for a Reef aquarium. Im planning to make a mixed sps lps tank.
Best to check locally.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. What are the differences that the HO and non HO bulbs do? Does it have to be HO or something? Also, I’m not really good at it’s terminology, what’s a ballast? Also what equipment shall I need if I were to buy one from scratch?(not fully kitted with the light reflector/holder or something like that) and also, if I were to build a 36 inch tank, should I buy a 36 inch bulb to run across the whole tank or would a shorter bulb will do enough?
I can’t seem to find the brand that you posted in my area or any that ships to Malaysia, even if it does, it would be quite the price for shipping.
One more thing. About the colours - are actinic compulsory? If it has 4 actinic bulbs doesn’t it mean the whole tank is going to be really dark blue only?
A ballast is a transformer that converts the electricity at your wall outlet into suitable electricity to drive the Fluorescent bulbs. Fluorescent bulbs are unlike regular incandescent bulbs, the screw-in type, because they require a ballast in order to work. The only difference between regular output and high output (HO) fluorescent bulbs is the HO bulbs use more watts and put out a brighter light. The ballast wattage must always be matched to the bulbs’ wattage, that’s why regular and HO bulbs are not interchangeable. Long story short, you’re not going to save any money by building your own light fixture using fluorescent bulbs. In fact, you’ll probably lose money. It’s a complicated endeavor, even for people who are knowledgeable. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tank Stop
Back