Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to the reefing hobby and have just begun a JBJ 45:

Cobalt aquatics 150w heater
Jebao pp-8 powerhead
Kessil a360w tuna blue with spectral controller

The tank has been running nearly two months. I did use brs dry Fiji rock (35 lbs) and Samoa pink sand (40 lbs).

Current stock list:

Ocellaris clown fish
2 bangai cardinals
Royal gramma
Fire shrimp
Emerald crab
Various snails

I have continued big plans for this tank. Holler at my YouTube channel and let me know what you think!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqm86PN91I-w6dASqZdvN_g

I'm definitely going about this my own way (don't need to be schooled) but comment sections are definitely up for discussion!

IMG_0695.JPG

Nutramar Foods
World Wide Corals

mkutsch

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! How's the gramma doing? (Mine just had a murderous streak and ate a green banded goby, a red striped trimma, and two neon gold eviotas..:()
Good luck with your tank! Obviously with that light you plan on corals, so which types you gonna start with?

BRS
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
CharlesP

CharlesP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! How's the gramma doing? (Mine just had a murderous streak and ate a green banded goby, a red striped trimma, and two neon gold eviotas..:()
Good luck with your tank! Obviously with that light you plan on corals, so which types you gonna start with?
Thanks! The gramma is doing great! He has been very skiddish for about a month (hiding in the back under a ledge only coming out to eat) he now swims with the others a little more. I cannot see mine in particular becoming aggressive by his current behavior. Believe it or not the biggest problem of the tank that I've had so far is the emerald crab. He is a pointy clawed one and I have read that behavior is common. He will snap his claws at the fish!!! Lol and I have caught him dragging my mushroom coral across the tank!!! His second chance came when I found him carefully cleaning the zoa colony. I did start out with an orange mushroom and a Spider-Man zoa. I intend to have a fully mixed reef with a little bit of everything. The kessil is unbelievable. Check out my YouTube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqm86PN91I-w6dASqZdvN_g

mkutsch

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I made the mistake (not trying to disparage anyone, folks...) of getting an AI Prime. Now, the reason for this was the low(ish) costs for such cool technology--I mean customization. I have yet to find a light that would, hypothetically, suit my needs, and wouldn't cost a metaphorical loss of limbs. I am one who likes to run lower, below a foot high, peninsula tanks (or would, if I was not in college and without negative funds... ;Hilarious). That being said, I am probably wishing for the impossible, in this day and age... But, I digress; how's your experience with the light and the controller? I'm not familiar with Kessil at all. How many channels and spectrum can you control?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
CharlesP

CharlesP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heavily considered the AI Prime for the price point as well. Along with the wifi...
I understand exactly what you are saying because that is how I feel as well. There doesnt seem to be any all in one mack daddy light that is not $800. I am happy with the 360 tuna blue because it is so powerful, like my highest intensity throughout the day doesnt get over 35%. Any intensity more than this and you will bleach your corals. You really get that kessil shimmer and Im proud to own one. The downside is my total cost was $630 out the door with the spectral controller and I just got 1.... ONE... light. The thing about this light is that you have white lights and you have blue lights. This really suits my needs though because thats all I want... Just dont expect to ever see my tank pink, red, or orange lol.
On the spectral controller, you have many settings as far as time goes and it does provide "kessils version" of the ramp up and ramp down with 6 time settings. This isnt exactly what I was expecting as in kessils start out at 5 or 10% intensity... meaning if its not on that setting, its not on. It just snaps to a different setting instead of slowly ramping up and down. What I want/need is the ability to have about 12-20 time settings instead of 6. Kessil also makes their LED's in house.
What you and I both want and apparently cannot afford is something like the Kessil AP700 which out the door with mounts and all is going to be right at $1000. That light has the wifi and everything on it. The only way I would be able to get the controllability that I want at this point with this light would be to get an apex controller. It amounts to being a competition between the ecotech radions and the kessil AP700 in my book. With the radions you need the reef link and so on. So really you will spend alot of money to get the upper echelon leds for your system.

I said all this to say I really love my kessil light lol.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

LA
Back