Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sadly have confirmed I have euphyllia eating flatworms. Have a couple question I am hoping someone can answer. :)

With my tank being so small in a waterbox 20, I know a lot of the normal predators won't work in my tank. Are there any predators I could add to a tank this small that would assist with the battle?
Also is it best to wait the full 5-7 days in between to dip or should I be checking over/dipping every 3-5 days?
Finally has anyone actually won this battle without losing too many euphyllia? I currently have 12 in my tank and hoping not to lose too many.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep dipping to remove the flatworms.

Then check very carefully for their eggs (see pic below). Difficult to see and not impacted by the dips. Diligently remove the eggs with a small, stiff brush. Takes a few weeks off to get rid of the flatworms and eggs but this method worked for me. Below is today’s pic of a treated torch that was infested with flatworms and eggs about 8 months ago.

Good luck!
48579985-7CDE-4CA8-8B29-45FD1A3F0F4E.jpeg

1676468023954.jpeg

Last edited:

ReefDreamz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for predators there is only one I know of that will eat polyclad worms and that is the velvet nudibranch. The consensus is that wrasse don't eat them and flat worm exit doesn't work on them. The best dip to use is Revive. I would dip every 5 to 7 days and scrape off any eggs with an x-acto knife and a toothbrush.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Newbiereefer98

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep dipping to remove the flatworms.

Then check very carefully for their eggs (see pic below). Difficult to see and not impacted by the dips. Diligently remove the eggs with a small, stiff brush. Takes a few weeks off to get rid of the flatworms and eggs but this method worked for me. Below is today’s pic of a treated torch that was infested with flatworms and eggs about 8 months ago.

Good luck!
View attachment 3023837

View attachment 3023836
wow that is an amazing colony! looks like it recovered amazingly! Dipped with revive on Sunday and didn't see many eggs. Going to pull them all again tonight and have a closer look with a strong light.

OP
OP
Newbiereefer98

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for predators there is only one I know of that will eat polyclad worms and that is the velvet nudibranch. The consensus is that wrasse don't eat them and flat worm exit doesn't work on them. The best dip to use is Revive. I would dip every 5 to 7 days and scrape off any eggs with an x-acto knife and a toothbrush.
I have revive, will pick up a new toothbrush and knife tonight to have a good look for eggs.
Think it would be worthwhile to add a velvet nudi? My LFS can bring them in.

serwobow

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While Flatworm Exit evidently doesn't work on the large EEF, it will work for some types of flatworms that pester euphyllia - it worked for the ones that were all over my hammer coral. I would definitely try that if I were you, since it is harmless to corals.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Newbiereefer98

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on my situation and I need some advise.
I have been dipping now in revive for approximately 3 weeks. Have done probably 4 all euphyllia dips during that time and a few in between on certain corals. I lost the two smaller frags that were the initial ones to get attacked by the worms. On my full dip yesterday, I found no worms, no eggs and no babies. I've had very good success with scraping off eggs thanks to PeterC99 for the tip and pics.
My question is due to the size of my tank the coral are all not in good spots right now, high flow and too low of light but this is the only place I can keep them. I am starting to see a bit of flesh receding on a few due to being unhappy.
Do you think it would be ok to glue them back on the rock now considering it has been almost a week since I've seen any worms?

FlyinAg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably, and if you use super glue it's easy to remove them again...

Also, I had good luck with Coral Rx with these if you think you need to switch it up. They would instantly release from the coral when dipped. I only had a couple that somehow made it in on another frag that wasn't a torch before I had coral rx to dip with. Never saw eggs.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Newbiereefer98

Newbiereefer98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably, and if you use super glue it's easy to remove them again...

Also, I had good luck with Coral Rx with these if you think you need to switch it up. They would instantly release from the coral when dipped. I only had a couple that somehow made it in on another frag that wasn't a torch before I had coral rx to dip with. Never saw eggs.
When I finally glue them back on I really dont want to have to remove them all again.
I will try to pick up some Coral RX. Think I'm going to do one more exam on Sunday and if no signs going to glue them back on the rocks.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back