+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just recently installed a Red sea filter roller on a bean animal setup.

It was priming fine in the past, may take 2-3 minutes, pipe was submerged by 1/2" only to help that.

Now that the filter roller is installed, i can't get it to prime automatically but have to play with the valve (opening and closing about 5 times) to help it prime.

The flexible pipe is now submerged by about 2.5" defined by how the roller filter is hanging on the sump.

How are you guys doing that?

My solution would be to lift the roller filter.

I've thought about drilling a hole on the tube right below surface water in the sump to help it prime to reduce the back pressure(I'm fine with some of the water not being filtered completely).

What would be your suggestions?

Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

CoralB

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about why the roller Matt would play a part but one solution may be to turn your system into a herbie style by running your return line over the back while using the two holes for a drain instead of one . You stated that one already has a shut off valve so basically all you would need is the new return line and maybe a piece of pvc .with herbie style their is no need for priming and you get a extra failsafe return line .

Kodski

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your primary drain can't clear the air in the line. A primary should only take a few seconds to start a full siphon, not a few minutes. So to me it sounds like there is an issue with your plumbing and the reef mat just made it that much more difficult to clear the air in the line.

Nutramar Foods
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back