+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling phosphate for months,
Main reason I think is I got a used tank a year and a half ago.. and I reused all the sand and rock from last owner. I may have been able to reuse rock but I know I screwed up using the sand.
anyways. I’m in this now, so I have been using GFO in a reactor. And it’s not helping as much as I’d like.
is there a more efficient way to battle this.? My phos hovers around .08- 2.0 ppm I’d really like to keep it lower for obvious reasons.
maybe I should replace sand? Or maybe there is a chemical option?

Corals.com

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacuum out all the gunk from the sandbed will be step one. Removing it might cause more issues now that it’s there.

However, there must be something wrong with the implementation of the GFO. Either not using enough or the wrong setup. GFO can easily strip all the po4 out of the system in no time at all.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main reason I think is I got a used tank a year and a half ago.. and I reused all the sand and rock from last owner. I may have been able to reuse rock but I know I screwed up using the sand.
anyways. I’m in this now, so I have been using GFO in a reactor. And it’s not helping as much as I’d like.
is there a more efficient way to battle this.? My phos hovers around .08- 2.0 ppm I’d really like to keep it lower for obvious reasons.
It depends if the range you have in your post is accurate (0.08 - 2.0 ppm). I suspect you might have misplaced the decimal and really mean 0.2 ppm. If so, it really is 0.2 ppm, then GFO is probably the easiest method to employ.

For higher PO4 levels, than Lanthanum Chloride (LaCl) becomes much cheaper and easier to use for bringing down PO4. However it does come with risks to your livestock if appropriate measures are not employed. I strongly suggest reading the various threads on using Lanthanum before contemplating using it to be informed of the risks and how to mitigate them.

Top Shelf Aquatics

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate binds to carbonate surfaces such as rock and substrate.
They can act as a reservoir for an awful lot of Phosphate.

The GFO is working fine, but as quickly as it is removing phosphate more is being released from the reservoir.
You simply need to keep it up and it will slowly reduce, which may take many months.

You could use Lanthanum Chloride as others have pointed out. It works by precipitating the phosphate out of solution and then the precipitate needs to be mechanically removed using very fine filter socks. If not removed it will pollute the tank.

Another alternative is an Aluminium Oxide based Phosphate remover such as Phosguard.
Personally, I would use that in preference to Lanthanum Chloride.

OP
OP
frankieg2293

frankieg2293

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends if the range you have in your post is accurate (0.08 - 2.0 ppm). I suspect you might have misplaced the decimal and really mean 0.2 ppm. If so, it really is 0.2 ppm, then GFO is probably the easiest method to employ.

For higher PO4 levels, than Lanthanum Chloride (LaCl) becomes much cheaper and easier to use for bringing down PO4. However it does come with risks to your livestock if appropriate measures are not employed. I strongly suggest reading the various threads on using Lanthanum before contemplating using it to be informed of the risks and how to mitigate them.
I did misplace. Decimal

AS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back