Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this barnacle off my hammer yesterday and today he looks so relieved. What an odd odd "thing." It was creating so many tiny holes at the base of the hammer and I decided to pick it off. Im glad I did! Are these bad for corals or could they kill a coral? I don't know much about them. I've seen some people leave them alone and the coral is fine, but curious to know more.

Here are the pics from yesterday. Creepy!
0-4.jpeg
0-2.jpeg

0.png

0-5.jpeg

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was pretty close to its fleshy bit so probably aggravating it
It was! It was hard to pick off too because like you said, it was close to the flesh so it was hard to get a grip of the coral and pick it off with a razor. It didn't pop off too easily either, but today it looks better. Oddly, the color and fullness of it looks way better.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a torch with a barnacle living in its mouth. They are harmless filter feeders, but I suppose can annoy the coral. I personally don't see how it would have been annoying the coral down there but glad you see it perking up

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a torch with a barnacle living in its mouth. They are harmless filter feeders, but I suppose can annoy the coral. I personally don't see how it would have been annoying the coral down there but glad you see it perking up
I think because its very close to the flesh, right at the edge of the flesh. And I couldn't imagine having a bunch of holes in the skeleton part; that couldn't be too good for it I would imagine especially if I left it. It was creating so many holes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I took this barnacle off my hammer yesterday and today he looks so relieved. What an odd odd "thing." It was creating so many tiny holes at the base of the hammer and I decided to pick it off. Im glad I did! Are these bad for corals or could they kill a coral? I don't know much about them. I've seen some people leave them alone and the coral is fine, but curious to know more.

Here are the pics from yesterday. Creepy!View attachment 3026979View attachment 3026980
View attachment 3026984
View attachment 3026981
Yes, they tend to bore and move around irritating coral and affecting skeleton growth/health.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they tend to bore and move around irritating coral and affecting skeleton growth/health.
I figured! It had put so many holes into the base of the hammer and the barnacle was very close to the flesh so I picked it off. I was worried it would just keep putting holes in the skeleton. It's actually looking better today too so Im glad I did.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back